Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger im 1., 2. und 3. SS-Panzerregiment und Großdeutschland » 9./SS-Panzerregiment 3 Totenkopf » Ergänzung zur Gallerie 9./SS-PR.3 » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Seiten (4): « vorherige 1 2 [3] 4 nächste » Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
Rob Fraser
Researcher

911 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi Chris, Grant, Hartmut
Interesting Hypothesis,
Here's something a bit lighter.

New to the gallery

30.04.2012 13:44 Rob Fraser ist offline Email an Rob Fraser senden Beiträge von Rob Fraser suchen Nehmen Sie Rob Fraser in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Thanks Rob. Added to the gallery.

This one posted by Chris on page1 has also been added to the '911' section:

Grant.

01.05.2012 01:04 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

RE: Unidentified = '933' Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Grant Hall

Also worth a note; these 4 must be earliest taken pics of '933', as it still has it's turret dischargers in place:

Grant.

I can´t find the second pic in the galery?

24.08.2012 09:43 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

RE: Unidentified = '933' Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Hartmut von Holdt
Zitat:
Original von Grant Hall

Also worth a note; these 4 must be earliest taken pics of '933', as it still has it's turret dischargers in place:

Grant.

I can´t find the second pic in the galery?

Hi Hartmut,

Actually the 1st and 2nd pics are no longer in the gallery.
The reason for this is that I'm convinced those 2 photos show the Tiger in April'43 when it was still coded '443'. The same time period as this one:

There are a total of 4 pics I believe belong in the '4./SS-Panzerregiment 3 Totenkopf' gallery.
I explained this some time ago in the moderators thread, here:
http://www.tiif.de/thread.php?threadid=516&sid=

For those who can't see the thread there, these are the 4 pics:
'443' x2

'4xx' x2 (One from the gallery and one new)

---------------------------------------------------------

This is a very timely post from you Hartmut. Because lately I've been trying to cross reference 9/Ko. personnel pics and names.
And this brought me to the conclusion, (one I think Schneider had already come to, but explained very unclearly),
... that this Tiger is not from a 4th zug created at the end of the Summer'43:

But is again Tiger '443' for the short time it became '943' in May'43, before eventually becoming '933'.

Unfortunately, as yet, there are no good photos of the rear end of '443'/'933' to compare.
But if we look at known personnel and crew, we see the same faces each time with this Tiger.

I'll attempt a brief explanation, from the top:
April'43, CO 'Baumann's' '443' gets repainted and numbers repainted in white with a black outline, (as the very top pic and) here:

The guy on the left is definitely Van Kerkom, whether he was part of the crew or not is unclear.

May'43, the 4th Kompany becomes the 9th.
This to me explains why '443' would first become '943'. Then, when it became apparent that there is no longer a 4th zug, it would become '933'.
We see the same faces, named and un-named, within the id'ed photos of '933':

..the same 5 faces seen in the '94x' photo:

The names with question marks:
I've not seen any clear photos of Baumann's face, so it's not definite to me if the guy in the cap is him or not.
The guy in the red circle is recognisible in most '933' crew photos, there's one of him driving '933'. But it's unclear what his name is.
The guy in the green square looks likely to be this guy captioned as Bachmann by Schneider, (but it could also be Van Kerkom):

Hope that all makes some sort of sense.
Grant.

24.08.2012 21:19 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Ah thank you!....I forgot that thread sorry.

Bachmann and van Kerkom(fellow-countryman?). Do you know what function/role these guys had in the Tiger?

24.08.2012 21:59 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

Zitat:
Bachmann and van Kerkom(fellow-countryman?). Do you know what function/role these guys had in the Tiger?

Yes.. Hans-Georg Van Kerkom.. it's certainly a Dutch surname but I've not yet seen any info about his Nationality/Abstammung.

Bachmann was most certainly a 'Fahrer'. He's one of the very few who is referred to as such.
Also there's this from a gefallen list; I imagine it's the same Bachmann: "Hans-Ludwig Bachmann. gef.31-8-43 als Fahrer v. Mooslechner".

The problem with the lists I've seen, is that they seem to credit 95% of the 9.Ko. as 'Richt+Ladesch.'..There are very very few credited as 'Funker' or 'Fahrer'.
This only adds to the confusion. Lachner, Privatski and Van Kerkom are all referred to at some point as 'Richt+Ladesch.'...Lachner and Privatski much more than Van Kerkom.
So if Van Kerkom was part of the '933' crew, I'm assuming it was as 'Funker'. All 3 men later became 'Pz-Kommdt' of their own Tigers.

Which is Bachmann?
All 4 of these men are captioned as being Bachmann by W.Schneider:

Images 1 + 3 are certainly the same man (the same Red circle man from the above post). Image 2 could be the same man with his tunic on? It's hard to tell.
Image 4, probably the most well known, was the one causing me all the confusion.

This following pic now has me convinced that the man in images 1 and 3, and in the 'Red circles' above, is in fact Bachmann, 933's 'Fahrer':

It sorts out the question marks from my post above, and I believe this was the regular crew of '933' in May/June'43:

This begs the question: Who is this then?... Maybe it's simply Van Kerkom?.. but I'm not sure:

Grant.

25.08.2012 10:56 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I don´t know if he is van Kerkohm, but you are correct that it is all the same person.

25.08.2012 13:08 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

Van Kerkom Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Yes, it's Van Kerkom. Here's a clearer photo of him, at a veterans reunion in 1959 (with Lachner in front of him).
It's 16 years later but he hasn't changed that much:

".....and van Kerkom (fellow-countryman?)"
Probably from belgischen Abstammung. Kerkom is a small place in België, west of Maastricht.
There are also people in Köln who have the name 'van Kerkom'.

Grant.

26.08.2012 16:21 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

Gallery additions + some for discussion Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi,
Some pics I'd like to add to the gallery if there are no objections?
These 2 'lates' to the 'Tiger nicht identifiziert' section:
This one posted by Michael Wolf:

..and this one from W.Schneider's 'Totenkopf Tigers':

Not a great deal to see on the this one...But it is from the Totenkopf:

..and it does have a quite distinct camo pattern, which could be useful for any future comparisons:

'933'
During the above 933 discussion I realised this pic was missing from the gallery:

..and I think it would be reasonable now to move this one from the'Tiger nicht identifiziert' to the '933' section?
Maybe best positioned as the first pic in the section:

-----------------------------------------------------------

For discussion:

These 2 photos have been discussed a couple of times before without conclusion I believe, at least in the 505 thread that I remember:

...and another of the same left-hand Tiger above:

I know they have been captioned as Totenkopf or SS Tigers in books before, but I do really think they are from the Totenkopf.

From photos and issue dates, we know the TK received this type of 'early mid' in the beginning of Oct'43 while in southern Ukraine:

This was the period where they numbered, at least the these 'new' Tigers, with small solid black numbers.
I think this system lasted less than 2 months; "after a comparatively mild fall.. on Dec 5th the first snow fell"..and the whitewash & number board system began:

I think there's a hint of these small black numbers on one of these Tigers:

To me these photos would pass well by the Totenkopf at the 'Ingulez battle area' from mid Oct'43 through Nov'43.

Comments, opinions and/or even disbelief welcome.

Grant.

29.08.2012 12:55 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

RE: Gallery additions + some for discussion Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Grant Hall

..and I think it would be reasonable now to move this one from the'Tiger nicht identifiziert' to the '933' section?

Grant.

The turret number is 94?. How can it fit the 933 section with a number like that on the turret?

29.08.2012 13:52 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

RE: Gallery additions + some for discussion Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Zitat:
Original von Grant Hall

Grant.

The turret number is 94?. How can it fit the 933 section with a number like that on the turret?

Hi,
Yes, it does seem wrong. But I believe it is the very same Tiger, only a photo taken during the short time it was numbered 943. Probably sometime just after 10th May'43.
I thought the least complicated way to recognise this would be; to add it to and change the title and top row of the '933' section from this:

To this; with the 94x pic first, followed by the 2 pics that appear to be from the same time:

The only other options I can think of are;
Leave it in the 'Tiger nicht identifiziert' even though we know what Tiger it is.
Or begin a new section for it with only 1 pic and 2 maybes.

Grant.

Edit:
To avoid confusion, this how I believe the numbering of this Tiger progressed:

29.08.2012 20:09 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Michael Wolf
Expert

Hallo Grant,

da bringst Du einiges Diskussions-Material auf einmal! Sehr schön!

Da gibt es bei Tiger #901 eine kleine Besonderheit, die ich sonst noch nirgend erkennen konnte: er hat nur am Turm und KWK-Blende VERTIKALE Zimmeritrillen ...

daher nehme ich an, das die Gruppe von drei weiteren Bildern von einem neuen unmarkierten Tiger mit diesem besonderen Zimmerit ebenfalls den Befehlswagen #901 zeigen.
Die Bilder stammen aus Schneiders TK-Tigern ... der zweite unmarkierte Tiger dieser Bildserie mit dem Schaufelblatt unter der Fahrerluke

scheint vertikale Zimmeritrillen nur an der Bugfront zu haben, aber nicht am Turm ...

Gruß Michael

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Michael Wolf am 29.08.2012 22:40.

29.08.2012 22:06 Michael Wolf ist offline Email an Michael Wolf senden Beiträge von Michael Wolf suchen Nehmen Sie Michael Wolf in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitat:
Original von Grant Hall

Zitat:
Hi,
Yes, it does seem wrong. But I believe it is the very same Tiger, only a photo taken during the short time it was numbered 943. Probably sometime just after 10th May'43.
I thought the least complicated way to recognise this would be; to add it to and change the title and top row of the '933' section from this:

To this; with the 94x pic first, followed by the 2 pics that appear to be from the same time:

The only other options I can think of are;
Leave it in the 'Tiger nicht identifiziert' even though we know what Tiger it is.
Or begin a new section for it with only 1 pic and 2 maybes.

Grant.

Edit:
To avoid confusion, this how I believe the numbering of this Tiger progressed:

Hi Grant,

I know you know your stuff! But if the Tiger was 943 in a short time frame, should it not be better to sort it in as 943 but not 933?

Totenkopf had reasons to renumbered Tigers as vehicles of the 4th Zug......should we ignore that?

To me it isn´t that clear if this Tiger was renumbered as 943 (?) in early 1943 or later around the Kursk battle.

29.08.2012 22:23 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

"To me it isn´t that clear if this Tiger was renumbered as 943 (?) in early 1943 or later around the Kursk battle."

Hi Hartmut,
There are other indicators to the time of these photos that I probably should have mentioned.
If we look at the 3 highlighted photos, which I believe are from the same period and belong together;
In 2 of the photos you can see the Tiger still has it's turret dischargers fitted (unfortunately these are out of shot in the 94x pic).
These had been removed in later photos of 933, before the Kursk battle had begon.

Also, nothing definite but noticable: Most of these TK Tigers photos from Summer'43 seem divivded into the 'before and after' issue of the new lightweight camo uniform in June'43.
After their issue the crews appear to be wearing them constantly.

Grant.

30.08.2012 02:25 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Grant,

you are probably correct that 443 become 943 and finaly 933.

Further more we can probably rule out that Totenkopf had a 4th Zug in summer 43 again. We never found a photo of a 9.SS Pr.3 Tiger of the 4.Zug from early summer on and that is not an accident i guess.

Therefore it is indeed logical to set 943 on the first place in the 933 section because the turret number 943 was not relevant in any time frame.

Still a problem is how the Kompanie numbering system was in summer 43. Some would guess that Totenkopf did not had that many Tigers what the paper said? Nowhere we can comprehend how a number up to 22 Tigers were organized in the Kompanie.

Thanks

30.08.2012 11:51 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

Zitat:
Original von Michael Wolf
Hallo Grant,

da bringst Du einiges Diskussions-Material auf einmal! Sehr schön!

Da gibt es bei Tiger #901 eine kleine Besonderheit, die ich sonst noch nirgend erkennen konnte: er hat nur am Turm und KWK-Blende VERTIKALE Zimmeritrillen ...

daher nehme ich an, das die Gruppe von drei weiteren Bildern von einem neuen unmarkierten Tiger mit diesem besonderen Zimmerit ebenfalls den Befehlswagen #901 zeigen.
Die Bilder stammen aus Schneiders TK-Tigern ... der zweite unmarkierte Tiger dieser Bildserie mit dem Schaufelblatt unter der Fahrerluke

scheint vertikale Zimmeritrillen nur an der Bugfront zu haben, aber nicht am Turm ...

Gruß Michael

Hi Michael,
If I understand you correctly? (Mein Deutsch ist wertlos..sorry)
The top 3 pics do show the same Tiger (with vertical zim on the turret and mantlet).
But I don't think this could be the Tiger that became Befehlstiger '901'.
Because it looks to have the left-side middle S-mine, (under the mans foot in the middle pic), which would be missing on a Befehlstiger(?):

I thought the 2 Tiger pics (in blue) look like they might be the same Tiger simply because they both have the shovel fitted in the brackets the wrong way round.
But maybe this 'backward fitted shovel' thing happened more often?
Here it is again on this well known Tiger from the same production time:

Grant.

------------------------------------------

I'm very pushed for time right now. But I'll update the gallery as soon as possible.
..and Hartmut, this 4 zug/22 Tigers thing, yes it is very confusing. I can't find / don't know any clear explanation..
But I think it's probably all to do with the difference between the Tigers 'on hand' and the Tigers 'on paper'?

30.08.2012 19:59 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Michael Wolf
Expert

Hi Grant,

ja - Du hast völlig Recht - auf der linken Wannenseite Mitte sollte bei einem Befehlswagen wegen der dritten Antenne kein S-Minen-Werfer sein ... da fällt mir nichts ein ...

Da müssen wir noch weiter suchen ... die spezielle Zimmerit-Variante am Turm war auf den ersten Blick verführerisch ...

Gruß Michael

P.S.: Wenn ich "englisch" schreibe, würdest Du vermutlich weniger verstehen können als mit Deinem "wertlosem" Deutsch ;-)!

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Michael Wolf am 31.08.2012 10:05.

30.08.2012 23:02 Michael Wolf ist offline Email an Michael Wolf senden Beiträge von Michael Wolf suchen Nehmen Sie Michael Wolf in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Michael Wolf
Expert

Hallo Zusammen,

Diese beiden Tiger sollten zu 9./SS-PzRg. 3 Totenkopf gehören - das Bild stammt aus einer Serie vom SS-PK Berichter Cantzler ... und sind sehr wahrscheinlich bei Kursk entstanden.
Bin mir nicht sicher ob das Bild hier schon an anderer Stelle existiert - ich konnte es nicht der Galerie finden ...

Gruß Michael

13.02.2013 00:24 Michael Wolf ist offline Email an Michael Wolf senden Beiträge von Michael Wolf suchen Nehmen Sie Michael Wolf in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

Zitat:
Hallo Zusammen,

Diese beiden Tiger sollten zu 9./SS-PzRg. 3 Totenkopf gehören - das Bild stammt aus einer Serie vom SS-PK Berichter Cantzler ... und sind sehr wahrscheinlich bei Kursk entstanden.
Bin mir nicht sicher ob das Bild hier schon an anderer Stelle existiert - ich konnte es nicht der Galerie finden ...

Gruß Michael

Hi Michael,
At the moment this pic is in the Das Reich gallery's unidentified section.
Here it is (Orange) amongst a group of pics credited to SS-KB Gronert (in Green).
I've know idea where the pic in Blue originates?
btw the two 'S14' pics are already ID'd and in the 'S14' section.

To be honest I wouldn't know where this pic belongs.
It could well be TK but I don't think it is. The Tigers in the pic both look to have feifels fitted, and the nearest one looks to have no turret track hangers fitted.
I aware of only one, maybe two, TK Tigers that still had feifels fitted at the begin of the Kursk campaign, '922' and maybe '902'.
But these both were later issues with turret track hangers:

Another thing, though nothing concrete, I would expect the StuG to have the Kursk 3 bar marking on it's rear hull if this was TK.

Also there looks to be helmets hanging on the turret bin, with maybe a 'swastika' flag lying on top.
I'm not wised up with Das Reich Tigers, but I can't see a match for these features in the DR gallery or in any other of the KB Gronert pics.
The helmet/turret bin thing looks very '505' to me?

So, to summarise, as you might guess, I haven't really got a clue smile

Best, Grant.

13.02.2013 17:14 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Evgeniy Muzalkov
Expert

Zitat:
Original von Grant Hall
The helmet/turret bin thing looks very '505' to me?

Grant, it not ‘505’. In the summer 1943, on Tigers from ‘505’ there were no crosses.

13.02.2013 19:29 Evgeniy Muzalkov ist offline Email an Evgeniy Muzalkov senden Beiträge von Evgeniy Muzalkov suchen Nehmen Sie Evgeniy Muzalkov in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Michael Wolf
Expert

Hallo Grant,
nach meiner Beobachtung könnten folgende TK Tiger im Sommer '43 (also zu Beginn der Operation Zitadelle) noch mit Feifelfiltern ausgestattet sein:
# 911
# 913
# 922
# 923
# 932
# 933
Vielleicht auch noch andere … ich denke, alle TK Charkow-Veteranen haben noch die alten Feifels, Binokular und keine Kettenglieder am Turm …

Das Bild gehört nach meiner Ansicht nicht zur gleichen Serie der sPzAbt DR - ich habe es in einer Serie von Cantzler zu Div TK gefunden … leider gibt es da keine weiteren Tiger-Bilder. Aber bei der "DR-Serie" sind keine weiteren Pz III oder Stug III zu erkennen und die Panzergrenadiere sind abgesessen … ich habe den Eindruck, das Bild ist etwa zusammen mit der bekannten Wochenschau-Sequenz zu den TK-Tigern bei Kursk entstanden. Das man die III - Markierung am Stug nicht erkennt, liegt vielleicht an der Aufnahme und es gab sie nicht nur in Weiß ...

Die Helme an der Rommelkiste passen nicht wirklich gut zu TK … da hast Du recht - vielleicht stimmt Deine Vermutung mit der sPzAbt. 505 - aber hatten die nicht im Sommer '43 noch die Nebelbecher am Turm?

Vielleicht finden wir noch weitere dazugehörige Bilder von Cantzler … oder doch Grönert?!
Weißt Du, ob es irgendwo im Netz oder Büchern genauere Angaben über die Einsatzorte oder die zugeordneten Einheiten der PK-Männer gibt?! Oder wollen wir vielleicht an dieser Stelle - also dem TIIF-Forum eine Aufstellung über uns bekannte Einsätze von PK-Männern starten? Im Laufe der Zeit würde das sicher einige Bildzuordnungen ermöglichen …

Beste Grüße
Michael

13.02.2013 19:47 Michael Wolf ist offline Email an Michael Wolf senden Beiträge von Michael Wolf suchen Nehmen Sie Michael Wolf in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Michael Wolf
Expert

... gegen den Horizont könnten Tiger dabei sein (???) ...

Falls diese Sammlungen den PK-Männern korrekt zugeordnet sind, ist das "http://www.kriegsberichter-archive.com/index.php" eine ECHTE FUNDGRUBE!

13.02.2013 20:22 Michael Wolf ist offline Email an Michael Wolf senden Beiträge von Michael Wolf suchen Nehmen Sie Michael Wolf in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

Zitat:
Hallo Grant,
nach meiner Beobachtung könnten folgende TK Tiger im Sommer '43 (also zu Beginn der Operation Zitadelle) noch mit Feifelfiltern ausgestattet sein:
# 911
# 913
# 922
# 923
# 932
# 933
Vielleicht auch noch andere … ich denke, alle TK Charkow-Veteranen haben noch die alten Feifels, Binokular und keine Kettenglieder am Turm …

Das Bild gehört nach meiner Ansicht nicht zur gleichen Serie der sPzAbt DR - ich habe es in einer Serie von Cantzler zu Div TK gefunden … leider gibt es da keine weiteren Tiger-Bilder. Aber bei der "DR-Serie" sind keine weiteren Pz III oder Stug III zu erkennen und die Panzergrenadiere sind abgesessen … ich habe den Eindruck, das Bild ist etwa zusammen mit der bekannten Wochenschau-Sequenz zu den TK-Tigern bei Kursk entstanden. Das man die III - Markierung am Stug nicht erkennt, liegt vielleicht an der Aufnahme und es gab sie nicht nur in Weiß ...

Die Helme an der Rommelkiste passen nicht wirklich gut zu TK … da hast Du recht - vielleicht stimmt Deine Vermutung mit der sPzAbt. 505 - aber hatten die nicht im Sommer '43 noch die Nebelbecher am Turm?

Beste Grüße
Michael

Hi Michael,
Sorry for the late reply, but busy busy times.

I've been looking through pics again, and you are correct; there were more TK Tigers fitted with feifels than I'd thought.
I probably assumed the older Tigers wouldn't have feifels fitted at Kursk because none of the Tigers look to have them fitted in the Kharkov pics. But I was wrong.
Of the early issue Tigers we have pics of, you can see feifels fitted on '923' and also '913' possibly:

Of the other 'Kharkov survivors'; '933' looks to have them removed. And with '921' there are no views of this area.

Of the 'newer' May'43 issued Tigers; I mentioned above '902' & '922', but also '932' had them fitted.
'911' might also have them, though '901' doesn't. And it can't been seen on '914' pics though it does look to have it's hoses removed in one photo.

So, with Evgeniy pointing out that they can't be from the 505, maybe these are two TK Tigers?
The balkenkreuz looks in the right place.

I'll have to have a good look at the news reel film again when I get a chance.

Best,
Grant.

17.02.2013 07:10 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

the SS-PK Berichter Cantzler photo Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi,
Continuing with the SS-PK Berichter Cantzler photo posted by Michael.
It looks to me to match this photo from the '9./SS ab Sommer 1943' gallery's 'Tiger nicht identifiziert' section:

The scene looks to be the same. And I think it's probably the same Tiger on the horizion:
Has anyone any idea to whom this photo is credited?

'922' film shots:
These were the best shots I could come up with;

Difficult to tell if it's the same location/time as the Cantzler photo?
But it could well be.

Grant.

23.02.2013 14:57 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I can´t recall to see this pic in big scan anywhere. Or is this a cutout from the bigger photo together with Tiger 923 from Schneider´s TIC? Is the turret number visible?

Is it known who holds the copyright on this?

08.04.2013 17:06 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Grant Hall †

RE: The elusive 902 (with 913) and another 912 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi Hartmut,
Yes, it's a cut from the photo together with '923'..There's a larger copy of the photo in the 'Totenkopf Tigers' book and the number board, 912, is just about legible .
I explained in this post, from near the bottom of page1:
Zitat:
Original von Grant Hall

.....And this '923' gallery pic shows what I believe is '912' on the car in front of it:

Quite a few matches, though the shrouds are more battered in the train car pic:

Grant.

As for who it's credited too. In TIC, it says 'Hofmann'.
In 'Totenkopf Tigers' (English edition), it has the wrong caption. The photo is in the section of the book where all the captions are mixed up or repeated from another page.
Proof readers uh!

Grant.

08.04.2013 19:00 Grant Hall † ist offline Email an Grant Hall † senden Beiträge von Grant Hall † suchen Nehmen Sie Grant Hall † in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Thank you Grant!

I looked over the Ergänzungs-thread twice but didn´t notice your post.

08.04.2013 19:37 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

913 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Currently available at Historical Media.

No connection with the seller.

Chris.

Link:
http://historical-media.com/einzel/2015.7.3/_x2015.7.3.html

09.07.2015 23:20 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Michael Wolf
Expert

Schöner Fund Chris! - Danke fürs Zeigen ...

Wegen dem Treffer (?) neben dem Sehschlitz an der Turmseite frage ich mich, ob wir hier nicht den gleichen Tiger sehen ...

... obwohl die Position vom Balkenkreuz wieder nicht richtig stimmt. Aber das Problem mit dem "wandernden" Balkenkreuz hatten wir ja auch schon ...

Gruß Michael

10.07.2015 23:07 Michael Wolf ist offline Email an Michael Wolf senden Beiträge von Michael Wolf suchen Nehmen Sie Michael Wolf in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Ich weiß momentan gar nicht ob wir das bereits irgendwo besprochen hatten, aber das "wandernde Balkenkreuz" entstand wohl dadurch, dass der Turm auf eine andere Wanne gesetzt wurde?

11.07.2015 09:08 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Michael Wolf
Expert

Das wurde mal unter 13./ssPzRg. 1 LAH diskutiert ...
http://tiif.de/thread.php?postid=4173#post4173
Gruß Michael

11.07.2015 13:22 Michael Wolf ist offline Email an Michael Wolf senden Beiträge von Michael Wolf suchen Nehmen Sie Michael Wolf in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Herbert Ackermans
Mitglied

RE: A few unidentified Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Grant Hall †
I can't find a match for some of the pics posted by Chris a couple of posts up.
I can say that these 4 are the same Tiger:

I wasn't sure about the 4th pic, but this 'new' pic shows that the mudguard flap positions are the same on all 5 of these pics,
plus what Chris spotted with the damage around the mantlet MG opening:

Maybe someone has an idea or match to which Tiger this could be?
Until then, these 5 have been added (in a group) to the 'Tiger nicht identifiziert' section.
Grant.

Tigers of the Death's Head identifies this Tiger Ausf. E in chapter 4: The Long Retreat, as the Tiger commanded by SS-Untersturmführer Neff

09.02.2017 00:58 Herbert Ackermans ist online Email an Herbert Ackermans senden Homepage von Herbert Ackermans Beiträge von Herbert Ackermans suchen Nehmen Sie Herbert Ackermans in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info Herbert, do you have any thoughts as to the turret number of this Tiger?

Chris

10.02.2017 01:03 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

931 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Mike Wood obtained this photo from the family of 3.Zug commander SS-Ustuf. Helmut Neff and it contains the crew of his Tiger '931'.

As identified by Grant Hall, damage to the mantlet allows us to match several photos to the same turret

The damaged mantlet also suggests further matches from Mike’s book ‘Tigers of the Death’s Head’

Chris.

27.02.2017 17:17 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

RE: 931 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Chris Brown
[IMG]

Chris.

The Tiger that the photographer is sitting on: it's an Early and it has a turret antenna position that holds only a disc of some kind.

Is this a Befehlstiger whose antenna base has been wrenched off somehow? Or is this one of the 18 Befehlstigers converted to normal Tigers? If so, it would be one of 6 Tigers delivered to Totenkopf in January 1944. Have we identified all of them?

David

27.02.2017 18:36 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Jan 44? Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

I'm a little confused here David. Schneider in TICII does not lead us to expect deliveries between October 1943 and May 1944.

We do have photos of '911' (a non-Stabs number) on a Befehlstiger hull and a (supernumerary?) ex-LAH Befehlstiger in Totenkopf possession, so if this is no longer used in the Befehls role, my guess would be that it's a conversion back to a gun tank. Given that the 18 factory conversions were done in November 1943, this would probably be a field conversion.

Ex--LAH

HTH,

Chris

28.02.2017 11:05 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

According to Ron Klages' book, this unit received 6 new Tigers in January 1944 and lost 7 Tigers in combat.

The hatch of 911, in that last photo, resembles the unknown hatch in the photo that I was discussing, but can't be definitively matched.

I think we should bear in mind that 911 may be a factory conversion Befehlstiger. Is there any way to date any of its photos to before January 1944?

David

28.02.2017 18:03 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Hi David,

Mike Wood in 'Tigers of the Death's Head' mentions receipt of six engines on 09Jan44, but no mention of Tigers being received. Perhaps Ron was mistaken?

Chris

01.03.2017 12:13 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
Original von Chris Brown
Hi David,

Mike Wood in 'Tigers of the Death's Head' mentions receipt of six engines on 09Jan44, but no mention of Tigers being received. Perhaps Ron was mistaken?

Chris

Ron wasn't infallible. But he seems pretty clear about these Tigers. He has them arriving on 4 February.

David

01.03.2017 17:58 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

932 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Currently on ebay.de.

Camo match and can stowage match to gallery pics of '932'. Also matches this unknown posted by Grant a while ago.

No connection to the seller,

Chris.

Link:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/FOTO-TIGER-im-EIN...iIAAOSwSypY97c7

20.04.2017 15:14 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Seiten (4): « vorherige 1 2 [3] 4 nächste »  
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: