Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.501/424 » Photo locations » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Seiten (4): « vorherige 1 2 [3] 4 nächste » Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
David Byrden

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von David Byrden
Consequently, I think this isn't a halt at all. This is where 501 assembled the day before Operation Ochsenkopf.

Confirmed!

Thanks to John, we got a wider version of the first photo, from Bundesarchiv. And what do we glimpse at the right-hand side? Djebel Ichkeul, looking just like the Google Earth model.

David

11.06.2014 13:01 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von John Winwood
I placed all the photos in a a table by negative number which helps show the order taken:
http://www.lonesentry.com/blog/appe-tunisia-photos.html

A kind person has supplied one more photo, number unknown;

David

UPDATE: No surprise, this is 101I-557-1018-24A

12.06.2014 11:08 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This one is from the "Powerliner" album;

FYI, it was taken in the Sbikha/Kairouan area. There are several possible dates.

David

12.08.2014 21:18 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Well, I feel mighty embarrassed now.
My published location for the "First Tiger convoy" is wrong;

In fact, it's not a distinct event; these Tigers are on their way to Djedeida and the "bridge" photos were taken shortly afterwards. The Bundesarchiv negative sequence backs this up.

It was Volker Ruff who found the real location. Fortunately, the farmhouse and the tree still exist;

though the tree died in 2011.

I will publish a corrected map soon.

David

08.09.2014 01:52 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

OK, back to these maddening photos.

I have annotated the photo of Tiger 11 to explain how the location was figured out. Arguments are welcome.

David

08.09.2014 10:57 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This photo is captioned in "Tiger on the Western Front" as being taken on 4 December 1942.

I believed that, and consequently, I deduced an incorrect location for the photo set.
Herr Ruff has examined the negatives at the Bundesarchiv. He tells me the photos are from Operation Eilbote. This led me to the real location.

It's posted in this "event"; Tigers disabled in Operation Eilbote.

David

16.09.2014 21:09 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This one wasn't difficult to place. "Tigers on the Western Front" gave the correct date for it.

That date is the start of Operation Eilbote, so I scanned the route from Pont du Fahs up to the ridge, and found a stretch of road where you can see this hill in the distance;

The exact location isn't clear to me, because I'm using this white mark to line it up, but the vegetation may have changed since 1943.

This plan shows Tiger 121 relative to the spot where Tiger 132 was repaired after the fighting. The fork in the road was reached by the battalion at day's end.

David

08.10.2014 02:10 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Did anyone buy these 2 photos when the Powerliner album was on Ebay?

They don't show Tigers, but you may be interested to know that I've put both of them on the Sidi bou Zid battlefield.

There were 6 Tigers involved in this battle. I'm still looking for any evidence of them.

David

22.10.2014 11:48 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

I'm not having success with locating this photo;

so I must ask; is it possible that this is France?
Do we know the movements of the 2nd company in France?

David

22.10.2014 22:54 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Can't help with movements in France, but I would suggest that the apparent the absence of pitched roofs on the buildings behind supports Tunisia as the location rather than France or Sicily.

As an aside, the presence of four brackets for the upper track link retaining bar on the bow has been mentioned before, but they suggest that the links were split 4-4-4 rather than 6-6 as seen on '231' and '243'.

Chris.

23.10.2014 19:59 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

I have located this photo sequence;

The vehicles are hiding in trees 1km south of Ksar Lemsa, implying that it is 20 January 1943 and they are waiting to attack Ousseltia. This is exactly what was written in the Powerliner album beside the 5th photo.

David

29.10.2014 04:03 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

It turns out that this photo is not from Operation Eilbote, which the Powerliner album states, but from the Bou Arada attack in the same area two weeks earlier.

The side road and the farm with the slanted roof are still there.

This is therefore 6 January 1943.

Every known photo of Tiger 11 is now placed exactly.

David

16.11.2014 17:39 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

I tied together the photos of new Tigers arriving by rail, and put them at the west end of Fallingbostel station. There's sloping ground, an unusual house, and of course the platform end to identify the place.

David

30.11.2014 16:37 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Andy Plückhahn
Mitglied

30.11.2014 17:13 Andy Plückhahn ist offline Email an Andy Plückhahn senden Beiträge von Andy Plückhahn suchen Nehmen Sie Andy Plückhahn in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Andy Plückhahn
Mitglied

30.11.2014 17:14 Andy Plückhahn ist offline Email an Andy Plückhahn senden Beiträge von Andy Plückhahn suchen Nehmen Sie Andy Plückhahn in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Andy Plückhahn
Mitglied

30.11.2014 17:17 Andy Plückhahn ist offline Email an Andy Plückhahn senden Beiträge von Andy Plückhahn suchen Nehmen Sie Andy Plückhahn in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Thank you, Andy.
The 501 was supposedly training at Ohrdruf. Do we know why their Tigers were delivered to Fallingbostel?

David

30.11.2014 17:29 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Andy Plückhahn
Mitglied

30.11.2014 17:36 Andy Plückhahn ist offline Email an Andy Plückhahn senden Beiträge von Andy Plückhahn suchen Nehmen Sie Andy Plückhahn in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Andy Plückhahn
Mitglied

the tanks came from Kassel to Fallingbostel train.
the barracks and the practice area is right next to the train station. then was trained there and the tanks were then loaded as to come towards the east railway station MGA ... and the first use of tanks 4 is known to you so busy. There is a photo where a tiger in the barracks is.

greeting

30.11.2014 17:46 Andy Plückhahn ist offline Email an Andy Plückhahn senden Beiträge von Andy Plückhahn suchen Nehmen Sie Andy Plückhahn in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Volker Ruff, who got access to the Bundesarchiv negatives for his forthcoming book, told me that these Tigers were travelling from Bizerte to Tunis.

The entire route has only one matching location, with a corresponding farm and hedge;

It's likely that all photos of 501 Tigers laden with jerrycans are making a journey down from Bizerte.

David

05.04.2015 12:25 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

I thought this one was east of Tebourba. But a careful analysis of the buildings in the distance, coordinated with 1943 maps, shows that the buildings shouldn't be where they are. In addition, I found a photo taken in Tebourba that shows the hills to the west; they don't match up very well to the photo.

So, I can rule out Tebourba for this photo. The only other place that seems to match is Manouba city, where I made this virtual view of the horizon to the north.

David

16.05.2015 23:00 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This photo is, I am now sure, in the Manouba region;

But the spot will be difficult to pin down.
The shape of the hills, in particular the relative spacing of the peaks, tells us to look in this region [A] :

Unfortunately, the whole area has been redeveloped and built up since 1943, so the old farms and trees are gone, and though we can find the old roads on Google Earth, they are now repaved and we can't be sure that they point in precisely the same direction - which would be useful for ruling out possible locations.

However, there were so few roads in 1943 that there are very few candidates. The road at [B] is the best one.

In modern times, the land to the right of this road is one of the few spots in Manouba that hasn't changed since 1943. I put the Tiger in the region [C].

The selection is reinforced by the old map, which shows a vineyard on the left side of the road; the photo appears to match.

David

26.05.2015 02:00 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

The town is confirmed as Manouba thanks to a modern photo.

David

28.05.2015 08:39 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Not very relevant to Tiger research, but interesting none the less; Hunt's Gap was filmed in colour in December 1942, by the director John Ford.

David

13.03.2016 00:51 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This photo was easy to locate thanks to a high-resolution copy from Volker Ruff.

As one might suspect, Tiger 243 is climbing out of that ditch purely for the camera. The Bizerte-Jedeida road is intact and there is no reason to wander off it

Location is added to my map of the Tigers' journey to Manouba.

David

02.07.2016 23:48 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

New Sidi Nsir Photos (no tigers) Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Few new Sidi Nsir photos.
Sidi Nsir:
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-naz...e-96073007.html
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-naz...f-96080329.html
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-naz...e-96080336.html
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-naz...t-96080345.html

SPzAbt 501 wreck:
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-erickso...3-68604530.html

(Maybe Sidi Nsir/Hunts Gap battle?)
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-naz...t-96076337.html

Off-topic - not sure if this is a known photo of Villers-Bocage?
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-destroy...a-59299706.html
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-destroy...n-59299714.html

16.08.2016 21:35 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Nice finds John. The Tiger wreck is 121 of SpzAbt 504

16.08.2016 21:50 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Ksar Mezouar Video Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Few new Sidi Nsir photos.
Sidi Nsir:
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-naz...e-96073007.html
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-naz...f-96080329.html
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-naz...e-96080336.html
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-naz...t-96080345.html

SPzAbt 501 wreck:
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-erickso...3-68604530.html

(Maybe Sidi Nsir/Hunts Gap battle?)
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-naz...t-96076337.html

Off-topic - not sure if this is a known photo of Villers-Bocage?
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-destroy...a-59299706.html
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-destroy...n-59299714.html

Some supposed British Ksar Mezouar video footage here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shS9_xf8A3Q

06.10.2016 18:51 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

RE: Ksar Mezouar Video Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:

I confirmed that it shows Churchill tanks heading from Beja to Ksar Mesouar, and British troops mining the railway line near the Ksar Mesouar station.

David

07.10.2016 00:23 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

RE: Ksar Mezouar Video Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von David Byrden
Zitat:

It looks very good to me. I confirmed already that the sequence at 1:27 shows tanks crossing the Oued Beja at 36°44'47"N 9°12'26"E, heading for Ksar Mesouar on route P11. The town of Beja is visible behind them.

David

The first half of the video seems to match this description:
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060034388

07.10.2016 02:01 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Yes, that description appears to be spot-on, and I love how they show us the current date at the end of the reel of film, e.g. by writing it on a vehicle!

It's amazing that small features like the water tank near the railway station can still be seen clearly in satellite images.

UPDATE:

The entire first half of the video was filmed at Beja and Ksar Mesouar during the Hunt's Gap battle.

The second half of the film shows very different terrain that does resemble Kasserine.

David

07.10.2016 02:17 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Few more Sidi Nsir Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

http://www.sz-photo.de/?1660772409910060...IAGROUP_SCOPE=1

If links don't work, it is image numbers:

07.10.2016 18:01 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This appears to be No. 1 gun, based on its location and configuration;

No. 1 gun

It fired on the advancing Panzers over open sights and knocked out several of them. I think - but I can't yet prove - that it put these gouges in Tiger 131.

David

19.10.2016 14:48 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This is also Gun No.1.

Who posted that set of gun photos from Pallas three years ago? They're all from Sidi N'sir. They show two of the 8 guns.

David

20.10.2016 16:44 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

It was John Winwood. The photos were on the CEGA site.

Well, thank you John. It was difficult to place those photos because the terrain at Sidi Nsir is so bumpy. But they show only 2 of the guns, so with multiple photos each I could finally pin them down.

David

21.10.2016 01:39 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Courtesy of Mr. Mustapha Ben Rejeb, we have final confirmation of John Winwood's placement of the "retreat" photos.

David

30.12.2016 03:19 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

These two photos are from Operation Eilbote, on the approach road. They were taken close together, with the battle group apparently pausing before the attack. The same hilltop farm is visible in both and was quite easy to find; it has an unusual mix of buildings.

The side road entrance by Tiger 11 is at 36°16'54.70"N 9°48'22.54"E

David

26.02.2017 00:35 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Thanks David, great work once again.

Chris.

26.02.2017 11:28 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

FYI I now know where the repair yard is, but I'll probably let the Tank Museum make the announcement first.

Davidi

10.07.2017 10:31 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Great news David I can't wait to hear where these wrecks are located

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Allen Dail am 10.07.2017 19:53.

10.07.2017 19:53 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Seiten (4): « vorherige 1 2 [3] 4 nächste »  
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: