Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.501/424 » Photo locations » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Seiten (4): « vorherige 1 [2] 3 4 nächste » Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
David Byrden

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Aha. What keywords did you search with? I find their website awkward to use.

David

17.05.2013 13:42 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von David Byrden
Aha. What keywords did you search with? I find their website awkward to use. David

Yep. I just had to search for "tunisie" and slog through them all.

Some of interest, not all Sidi N'Sir:
Image n° 189495
Image n° 189496
Image n° 189497
Image n° 189499
Image n° 190237
Image n° 190245
Image n° 190163
Image n° 190171
Image n° 190245
Image n° 190250
Image n° 190169
Image n° 190255
Image n° 190574
Image n° 190584
Image n° 190585
Image n° 190155

Wonder what unit these are?
Image n° 161741
Image n° 161742
Image n° 161743

17.05.2013 18:28 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

The CEGESOMA website is deeply annoying. Won't work without Javascript. Generates pages that have no URLs. Looks as websites used to look in 1995.

Anyway; thank you for searching. I found a few more interesting Tunisian photos. Has anybody done a thorough search of that site for Tigers?

But I can't place any of those 25 pdrs at Sidi N'sir.

David

18.05.2013 00:21 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
Original von Allen Dail
You have this first pic of the Luftwaffe Kubel on your page I include it here to place it with the rear view below it.

I searched the whole length of the Hunt's Gap valley before I noticed the same field, sign and pole in both photos. unglücklich

I added the location to my map of the Sidi Nsir battle

David

22.05.2013 18:00 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
Original von John Winwood
I have always suspected this is also Beja/Sidi Nsir. Looks like kind of the same background and the seemingly ever-present jeeps.

It's difficult to place this one exactly, but it seems to be near the top road where the prisoners were on the Pz.3.

Added to my map.

David

22.05.2013 22:16 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Another suspect from the mud???

//i.imgur.com/gzWcXGY.jpg

25.05.2013 19:50 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
I'm expecting this to be the situation;

This is a current photo of the farm near Sidi N'sir, taken at the road junction.
Though the angle is very different, I think we're seeing the same tree. The horizon reinforces that belief.

So "142" survived the battle. This strengthens the case for a destroyed Tiger somewhere at Sidi N'sir.

David

02.06.2013 21:23 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Hello David
Here are three more photos I found that may be in the sidi nsir beja area.

The armored car is from Squdron's panzer colors and I cant remember right of had about the captured halftrack. I will post the books and page info when I get home.
Allen

12.06.2013 23:48 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Interesting, but I'm not hopeful. Large swathes of Northern Tunisia look like that. Without wet mud it's doubtful.

David

13.06.2013 14:08 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

German War Graves Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

From the dates on the crosses, this photo is probably from the Sidi Nsir region when Eliot Elisofon took the other color photos.

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/a49317d5141fb687.html

16.06.2013 23:04 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
Original von Chris Brown
Currently on ebay.de, another location for David to research...

Chris

This one appears to be on the eastern approach to Faid.

The hills match up to the Google Earth virtual model, except for the flat-topped hill with a bump at extreme right of the photo;

But Google often misses the fine detail. A modern photo (A), taken from somewhere off to the right, is now in Panoramio, and it shows that the hill really does have a flat top and a projecting bump.

The occasion may be Operation Spring Wind, in mid February, unless there's some other reason for Tiger 141 to be near Faid.

David

27.06.2013 23:38 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This one was difficult!

But, as we would expect from the captions in "Western Front", this is near Tebourba. Tiger 132 is possibly the single Tiger assigned to Gruppe Lueder.

The location is on my Tebourba map.

David

08.07.2013 01:55 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
Original von Allen Dail
Hello David
Here are three more photos I found that may be in the sidi nsir beja area...

Allen

Allen;
I located this one using parallax from the various hilltops. Without my knowing it, I placed it almost exactly alongside this other photo. Same time? Same place!

David

21.09.2013 23:14 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
Original von Allen Dail
Hello David
Here are three more photos I found that may be in the sidi nsir beja area.....

....Allen

Allen;

I've pinned down these two, which are simultaneous. The location is on the approach to Sidi N'sir. but it's earlier than all the other photos, before they cross the ridge.

David

17.10.2013 23:45 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Great work David. Here is another photo that may be from the same operation.
The photo is from Panzer Tactics: German Small-unit Armor Tactics in World War II by Wolfgang Schneider I can't remember the page and sorry for bad pic. It is a cell phone pic as I can't borrow from the library that has this book.

It appears to be the same or another sdkfz 232 like the one leading tiger 11 that was lost later at Beja by the abaonded Italian Semovente assault gun. It is not really clear but it looks like an captured American halftrack nose just behind rear of armored car.
Could this be the same road or area?
Allen

23.10.2013 00:33 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Well spotted, Allen. It is indeed Kampfgruppe Lang moving down to Sidi N'sir after the battle. In fact these two photos were taken only meters apart;

I wish the photographer would have turned around, as there should be a knocked-out Tiger not far behind him.

David

23.10.2013 15:43 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This set has been causing me trouble;

I thought it would be the same location as this other photo (from the same roll of film);

but the farmhouses have all been demolished, the road has been rebuilt, and worst of all, Google Earth has a faulty model of the terrain.

Fortunately "Chafik B." has posted a photo wherein we can see the real shape of the hill;

and so it becomes clear that Tiger 132 is waiting to attack Tebourba.

David

01.01.2014 03:20 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Andy Plückhahn
Mitglied

do you travel and digging for fragments at this place?

01.01.2014 15:08 Andy Plückhahn ist offline Email an Andy Plückhahn senden Beiträge von Andy Plückhahn suchen Nehmen Sie Andy Plückhahn in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

I've never gone to a battle site. I would not feel safe in Tunisia at present.

David

01.01.2014 15:17 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

For this photo of Tiger 112 ;

I looked around various points between Bizerte and Tunis to find the hill that we can see in the distance.

It was pretty easy to find, though Google Earth doesn't model it exactly.

Then, it became obvious that there was only one possible road.

I calculated the angle from the road to the hill by using features on the Tiger. There was only a single 500m stretch of road running at the correct angle.

Starting from there, I went looking for the tree. Tunisia is almost devoid of large trees. There was just one candidate.

So, Tiger 112 is travelling from Bizerte to the city of Tunis.

David

04.01.2014 01:34 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I am confused......

and thought Tiger 112 is on the very same place like on this pic....

What we see behind the Tiger is not the land scape but the wall of the bridge in Djedeida ?

04.01.2014 14:17 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Hartmut;

I don't think these 2 photos are from the same event, because the radio operator would have to move the MG and open his hatch.

Also, when I look to the south of the bridge, I cannot find that hill.

Now look at this photo from "Tiger in the Western Front" page 9 (it's not in the gallery).
These two photos seem to come from the same event, because the Tiger is configured exactly the same.

And behind the Tiger we don't see Djedeida. We see a river with trees, which agrees with the place that I found.

The big trees are not there today, but I will check the hills.

David

04.01.2014 18:14 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

I have more confirmation that the placement is correct.
If you see the hills at the left of this photo ("Tiger on the Western Front" page 9)

they appear to be the same ones in the middle of this modern photo (click for details);

At the left of this extract, the darker item is the triangular hill that I found yesterday.

You can't see anything like this from the bridge in Djedeida. So we are really north of Tunis.

Also, Tiger 11 is in the convoy...

I'm still studying the location. There are 2 canals, about 2km apart, and we are near one of them...I'm not yet sure which one. Maybe both.

One thing is for sure; the caption in "Tiger in the Western Front" page 9 is wrong. The 1st company were near Pont duh Fahs in the middle of January. They had no reason to be north of Tunis.

So, I think these 3 photos show the journey of the newly arrived Tigers from Bizerte to Tebourba. It's not a direct route, but it has the best roads. What do you think?

David

04.01.2014 23:07 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

About the convoy photos.

Using the angle of the road vs. the hills, we can place the photographer on a stretch of road only a few km long.

The photo of Tiger 11 contains the corner of a farm compound lined with bushes. There is only 1 candidate farm in this area.

The photo also contains a hilltop which happens to be the highest one of the range.

Using all of this, we can be very specific. The photographer is standing by a drainage culvert in the road. Perhaps it offered a place to park his vehicle?

David

05.01.2014 14:03 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

The landscape in this photo of Tiger 131 always suggested the hills of Operation Ochsenkopf. The lack of mud on the road wheels then implies that the photo was taken before the Sidi N'sir attack.

I've placed the photo on the approach road from Mateur. It's close to where the captured M3 was photographed; in fact, the same hill appears in both photos.

David

Update; after finding the new photo I've moved Tiger 131 forward along the road; so it's not the same hill. Google Street View, please cover Tunisia!

04.06.2014 01:06 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

After more study of the landscape, I can confirm what Hartmut said; these three photos are taken at the same place.

David

05.06.2014 11:14 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

I can add this photo to the sequence of Tiger 131 passing the staff car. Thanks to the wide view, I can place the photographer to within 10 meters.

I also think that these two photos of Tiger 142 were taken nearby, though I can't pin down the exact spot;

The date is 26 February 1943.

David

08.06.2014 15:07 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Zitat:
I can add this photo to the sequence of Tiger 131 passing the staff car. Thanks to the wide view, I can place the photographer to within 10 meters.

I also think that these two photos of Tiger 142 were taken nearby, though I can't pin down the exact spot;

The date is 26 February 1943.

David

Good detective work - I think you are right about the time and place.

Bundesarchiv has more photos by Appe (Arppe?) since I last searched their website. These three are new to me: Bild 101I-557-1022-03A and Bild 101I-557-1022-05A and Bild 101I-557-1023-30A

From the negative numbers, couldn't these 2 photos be on the same road from Mateur: Bild 101I-557-1018-11A and Bild 101I-557-1018-13A

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 5 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von John Winwood am 08.06.2014 19:21.

08.06.2014 18:35 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:

That's a 2.Ko. Tiger. The large spade suggests that it's 241. Any thoughts?

David

08.06.2014 18:52 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Zitat:
Zitat:

That's a 2.Ko. Tiger. The large spade suggests that it's 241. Any thoughts?

David

I placed all the photos in a a table by negative number which helps show the order taken:

http://www.lonesentry.com/blog/appe-tunisia-photos.html

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von John Winwood am 08.06.2014 20:27.

08.06.2014 20:17 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Greg Del Nero
Mitglied

Mud flaps Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello David,

This photo is interesting in that it shows initial s.pz.Abt. 501 mud fender in the "up" position. Do you think the bottom of the fender is grooved like the top of the fender? They almost look like tiny holes here, but it might be my eyes tricking me. Some photos show the top of the fender steel grooves running parallel to the long side edge of the fender.

Picky question I know. Thanks.

Best
Greg

08.06.2014 22:35 Greg Del Nero ist offline Email an Greg Del Nero senden Beiträge von Greg Del Nero suchen Nehmen Sie Greg Del Nero in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Greg;

Yes, this is the first time I've ever seen the underside of one of these fenders. Also this is the best shot of the supporting L-bracket on the hull side.
It does seem that the grooves above are visible from below, i.e. it's just a single sheet of metal. Some Tigers had a square pattern, others a diamond pattern.
The fender isn't specific to this battalion, it's also found in 502 and on the first production Tiger, 250001.

David

08.06.2014 22:50 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
From the negative numbers, couldn't these 2 photos be on the same road from Mateur: Bild 101I-557-1018-11A and Bild 101I-557-1018-13A

There is only one place on that road that could possibly match these photos; it is 11.5km from Mateur. I can't confirm it yet.

David

09.06.2014 01:06 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Bruce Quarrie used to print the BA number with the photos in some of his books. So from the number (and the mud, rocks, and road), this jeep must be on the Sidi Nsir retreat.

557-1022-12: http://i.imgur.com/p4a8X7s.jpg

Some numbers for other well-known photos here:
557-1019-19: http://i.imgur.com/VjxTfMb.jpg
557-1022-12: http://i.imgur.com/p4a8X7s.jpg
193-30-8: http://i.imgur.com/WNghh3n.jpg
193-30-10: http://i.imgur.com/fvgnOm9.jpg
193-30-17: http://i.imgur.com/Hkf3XZ9.jpg
And Bundesarchiv has
101I-193-0030-29: http://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/dev01/ba...8nmr_layout.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von John Winwood am 09.06.2014 20:58.

09.06.2014 20:46 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Thanks for the BA numbers.

Zitat:
this jeep must be on the Sidi Nsir retreat.

Yes, the spot is easy to find, thanks to the rocks. It's 2.5km from the main bunch of wrecked panzers.

David

09.06.2014 21:33 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

I have no evidence, but I wonder if these might also have been taken on the road from Mateur:

01: http://www.tiif.de/bilder/501Astab01%202.jpg

141: http://www.tiif.de/bilder/501ANI7.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von John Winwood am 10.06.2014 22:15.

10.06.2014 22:14 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This one, I think, will never be located.

I'm hopeful about this one, but I can't put it in Ochsenkopf.

David

10.06.2014 23:06 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Zitat:
This one, I think, will never be located.
I'm hopeful about this one, but I can't put it in Ochsenkopf.
David

The "mood" looks right for the series, although can't be proved unless we have the negative numbers of the BA contact sheet.

By the way, found this older map online (sorry, forgot where) which shows where Montange (Montagne?) Farm and Guessa (sp?) Farm were located.
http://i.imgur.com/1LqEZFC.jpg

10.06.2014 23:44 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
The "mood" looks right for the series, although can't be proved unless we have the negative numbers of the BA contact sheet.

Are they BA photos? I thought they were from private hands.

Concerning these next photos that you asked about; can we locate them?
Firstly, the tanks are lined up on the same straight road in this sequence;

Secondly, the BA numbers imply that they may be from an early stage of Ochsenkopf, as you pointed out.

I searched the entire road from Mateur down, and found just one potential matching stretch of road. But there was no obvious way to prove it. No trees, buildings, etc.
The more I looked at the shape of the land, and its texture, the more I became convinced that it was the place. The same number of rises in the ground, with the same ones green or rocky, are visible in the photos and the satellite images.

Finally, I took the only usable feature; this white rock formation;

and found its best candidate on the satellite image. Then I calculated its angle from the road; assuming that Tiger 11 is parked parallel to the road, and noting that the rocks are directly above a wheel, we can use the perspective view of the wheel to calculate the angle.

Based on that, I figured where Tiger 11 would have to be parked.

Then, starting from there, I took another landscape feature that seemed to be visible in the photo; a distant patch of rocky land. Its leftmost corner is clearly defined.

Lo and behold, it lines up in both the photo and the satellite view! (middle arrow) Remember, Google Earth can distort the land vertically, but it can't move objects around. Angles in plan view will remain the same.

So I think these tanks are lined up here, 11.5km south of Mateur.

And that raises a question; what's going on? Did the battle group start out from Mateur, and take a break after only 12km?

We know that the 501 battalion preferred to rest away from prying eyes; witness the Djedeida base, up in farmland 7km from the town. And this stretch of road just happens to offer some real privacy in the flat land around Mateur, since it runs between two hills.

Look also at the tanks. None of them seem to be moving; the crews look bored and are not examining their surroundings; all of the tanks belong to 501, not the other units of the battle group. The whole situation looks different to the halt in the Eilbote operation.

Consequently, I think this isn't a halt at all. This is where 501 assembled the day before Operation Ochsenkopf.

David

11.06.2014 00:46 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
Bundesarchiv has more photos by Appe (Arppe?) since I last searched their website.

They add photos to the website when somebody pays for a scan of the negative. This should be related to the imminent publication of at least two new Tiger books.

David

11.06.2014 12:45 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Seiten (4): « vorherige 1 [2] 3 4 nächste »  
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: