Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.504 » sonstiges sPzAbt.504 » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
Mario Lippert

sonstiges sPzAbt.504 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

29.10.2012 22:25 Mario Lippert ist offline Email an Mario Lippert senden Beiträge von Mario Lippert suchen Nehmen Sie Mario Lippert in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Two blurry photos of apparent 504 Tigers, perhaps bound for Tunisia;

Facebook photos

David

28.10.2016 19:53 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi to all.

Here are my reflections about the pictures below. They were posted on Facebook by Fall Michal, and they come from the website www.tigerconer.ru
I thank both for sharing those info.
I don't know if I am breaking the netiquette posting here a reduced version of the pictures, if I do, I will delete of reduce them even more.

Looking in my archives, the pictures are about the same event as another one, that I am joining down here, too.

This image is of a debarking Tiger, loaded with many crates. The crates looks like ammo, I seem to remember that 10,5 cm ammo had those wooden crates, maybe also 8,8 cm? In the bottom right background I see something that looks like a moored landing craft.
The light looks like an arid place, like Tunisia, but may also be form Sicily. I think Tunisia.

This image is of a 504 Tiger loaded on the engine compartment with the outer wheels, and wearing transport tracks.

And looks like it is the same roll of this:

So I guess this Tiger was on a train or on a ferry.
The surrouding looks like it is an open country, more Tunisia than Palermo, from where (I guess) the Tigers of 504 leaved for Tunisia. The place looks like an Air Base, maybe a Seaplane base.
The presence of the white rhombus on the side confirms it is a 504 Tiger.

I am open to any of your comments!

Regards
Federico

28.10.2016 23:12 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Hi again,

I just found the crane of the Seaplane base in Bizerte!
The name of the Base is B.A.N. Karouba.
Look at the picture below, and look at this crane!

Regards
Federico

29.10.2016 00:02 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Good work, Federico!

So, this Tiger is not unloaded near the small hangars that we saw in the 501 photos... it is in front of a big hangar elsewhere on the airbase.

In fact the Tiger is here, at [1].

You can see, in one of the photos, the small structure at the corner of the next hangar, at [2].

Also, compare the hangar window to a recent photo (though the big hangars no longer exist).

David

29.10.2016 02:14 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
Original von Federico Peyrani

I can't match this crane to anything in Karouba.
So I went looking for the source of this photo - and the mystery was solved.
It is labelled "Bizerte" because that is the name of the aircraft.

p.s. these are two different Tigers. The cross is painted in different places.

David

30.10.2016 13:36 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

So, are we saying that the location is not Karouba for any/all these three?

CB

30.10.2016 18:59 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

This Wiki article says the Vichy air froce had two squadrons of six a/c each one unit in Southern France and the ither at karouba.
And the Germans also operated this type. If Karouba was a seaplane base it would have cranes as well. Trying to find code D to id German unit in pictured photo with plane.
The plane photo may not be Tunisia but the tanks are qustionable?

Wiki article. Willl keep searching for planes unit id.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breguet_Br.521_Bizerte
More info on Bizertes in German service. In this link the aircraft in pic KD+BA belonged to 1.Seenotstaffel of the Luftwaffe.
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=12791

Four posts down in above thread a link to Operation Dragoon two of these a/c were on sicily with Seenotstaffel 3 they had werk nr 5 and 22 info from link below.
http://www.ghostbombers.com/dragoon/odnav.html

This link shows some of these type cranes at a Fench seaplane base as well.
http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2014/06/lu...neulen.html?m=1

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 8 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Allen Dail am 30.10.2016 20:30.

30.10.2016 19:54 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I'm sure that all three Tigers are at Karouba; the "Bizerte" airplane isn't.

I've looked at the hangars in detail using many old photos and they all match up to what we see behind the Tigers. Ask me for details.

501 land at Karouba

504 land at Karouba

Now, for me, this photo is the one in question;

The ground at Karouba does match the horizon here; but the building at extreme right can't be matched because of rebuilding work in modern times, and a lack of old photos.

Can you put this Tiger anywhere else?

David

30.10.2016 20:37 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Thanks for clarificatiin David.
Yes that Tiger is a Puzzle either loading backing in or unloading so it could be Sicily or Tunisia. It is loaded similar to the other tanks and has those little open boxes like are unloaded beside the new 504 photo from facebook.
My best guess it is unloading at Karouba do to guys looking like they are bracing/balancing looking forward.
Searching for the plane type i found this Karouba pdf that shows how expansive this base is.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...emCuadK4UdqVw8A

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Allen Dail am 30.10.2016 21:01.

30.10.2016 20:58 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Well, this is annoying. Here's a photo of Karouba in 1943;

Karouba

I would need a building at top middle of the photo near the arrowhead. But there is no suitable building. So I can't match the Tiger photo.

David

30.10.2016 21:09 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf

Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: