Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.502/511 » Ergänzung zur Gallerie 502 42/43 » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Seiten (9): « erste ... « vorherige 2 3 [4] 5 6 nächste » ... letzte » Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
David Byrden

Possible ID Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

I do think this is Tiger 2 shortly after it got its new turret.

The dirt on the front hull is similar to the last photos of Tiger 111, though the spare track bars have been un-welded.

The turret has a white mantlet sleeve, which we see on turret 2 shortly after it is installed:

And I do believe I can see the repair patch on the hull.

David

18.11.2009 21:40 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

I think you are correct

18.11.2009 22:21 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Another thought... Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

I think this should be listed under '5'.

You matched it to a photo of '2', but we now know they are the same tank. However, when it is marked as '5' in the Werkstatt, it still has two exhaust extensions and I think a turret bin.

David

19.11.2009 12:27 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Additional photo of 134 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

This is published in the book "Hors-série Battailes #8"
Gallery size:

Mail me for a bigger copy.

We can easily match it up to the photos of 134.
The interesting thing is, it was very obviously numbered "1" previously:

I believe that when the tanks went into the Werkstatt in the Spring, the single-digit numbers were reassigned. We can see 1 here, also 3 which had no number beforehand, and 5 which was formerly our old friend 2.

Another interesting detail in that book, which claims to be directly reading from the photographer's own album, is the photographs of "31" (yes, the tank that was 2 and then 5!).
The book gives the names of the three crewmen in the photo, and the date is quoted as 12 August 1943.
So perhaps you should move the two-digit photo sets to the later gallery?

David

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 2 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von David Byrden am 19.11.2009 23:11.

19.11.2009 18:13 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

100? Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

I have a reason why this mystery photo wouldn't be 100.

One of the photos of 100 shows it with some whitewash still on. We can see the cross:

The cross, and the pattern of whitewash around it, don't appear on the mystery photo.

All the evidence suggests that these Tigers got only one camouflage paint job before the capture of 100.

David

03.12.2009 22:24 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

One for Greg? Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

#121 Currently on Ebay.de

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Panzerkampfwagen-Tarn...=item4838b0ab8d

Gallery Size:

No connection with the seller.

Chris

16.12.2009 16:58 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

It's 121 all right... Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

...and the first known photo of it in German hands.

David

16.12.2009 19:15 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

The second Tiger in this photo, is 121.

Gallery size:

David

22.12.2009 23:41 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Thank you for allowing me to edit the Gallery.

I have made numerous small changes to this Gallery, as I proposed above. But also, I created a new group of photos.

I am sure that the 1-digit numbers were assigned not once, but twice. This caused confusion on the page:
- the same number (3) appeared on two different tanks.
- the same tank appeared with two different numbers (2 and 5)

The creation of the new photo group removes these problems.

David

24.12.2009 23:43 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This photo can easily be identified as 111, by the camouflage pattern and the hole.

David

25.12.2009 16:54 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Concerning this unidentified photo:

I have enhanced the turret side and I got this:

On the left is the enhanced image. On the right is the pattern that I see in it. Also shown is the precise expected height of these digits (which were 300mm high).

So, it looks to me like 123. What do you think?

David

06.01.2010 11:08 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Hi David,

#123 looks good to me.

Chris

06.01.2010 15:49 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Blondel/Pascal
Gast

Concerning the Tiger I Nr. 2, a new photo ? :

Pascal.

16.01.2010 16:18
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Hi Pascal,

Welcome to TIIF.

This one is not new I'm afraid. It appears in the later 502 gallery http://www.tiif.de/thread.php?threadid=17&sid=

Regards,

Chris.

16.01.2010 19:22 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

#32 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Currently on ebay.de

This pic has been previously suggested as #31, but has fittings for hull skirts - which #31 does not - so this may be #32 as well.

Gallery size:

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Foto-Soldat-Panzer-Ti...=item35a6c3f0e2

Chris.

31.01.2010 12:57 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Thank you Chris. On the new photo, I can see a Pz.3 turret bin peeping out. That very likely confirms it as Tiger 32.

What's more, on both sides of the turret, I think I can see a small faded "2". So this tank (or, at least, its turret) would have been the "2" that is missing from our gallery area "Frühling 1943".

And before that, who knows? The turret may have been number 3 from "Anfang 1943". Or it may not. The unit had plenty of disabled Tigers to plunder.

David

31.01.2010 19:23 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Currently on ebay.de.

Looks like a combo with early-flapped hull and strengthened mantlet.

Any thoughts as to the identity of this one?

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Foto-schwerer-Tiger-P...=item439cda2392

Gallery Size:

Chris

11.02.2010 15:43 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Early #2 Match Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

There is a match on the bow camo with gallery pic of #2 with the non-initial hull.

Gallery Size:

Source: old e-auction.

Chris.

12.02.2010 17:38 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Interesting... Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

So, the hull of #2 from "Anfang 1943" soldiered on.

The paint on this one resembles our "Frühling 1943" gallery. This clearly isn't Tiger #2 from that period. The only open slot is #4.

Of course, it may not have been numbered or even operational at that time.

David

12.02.2010 21:06 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

#23 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Two pics of #23 for the gallery.

Links:
You will need to register / login to access pics
http://ground.warfarethroughthelens.org/...hterm=r00371+30
http://ground.warfarethroughthelens.org/...hterm=R00371-31

With the kind permission of Stefan de Meyer.

Chris.

18.02.2010 14:43 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Nice pics of 32 known and unknown

Nicknamed "Anni"

20.02.2010 20:49 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Initials Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Currently on ebay.de.

This first pic is a match for the unknown Tiger on the rear flatcar at Walk station. The last digit of the turret number might be a #4?

Links:
http://cgi.ebay.de/1-Foto-Tiger-Panzer-a...=item335a9c9435
http://cgi.ebay.de/2-Foto-Tiger-Panzer-V...=item4a9ef47cae

Gallery Size:

No link with the seller.

Chris

28.02.2010 12:36 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Did any of these Tigers have numbers ending in 4? To me it looks like a 1. And if we don't think there was ever a 101, there are only two remaining candidates.

Unfortunately, this tank is so new that it has only one distinguishing mark. The crews have already tired of carrying two kinds of track link on each tank; this one has two Left tracks.

Now, when the Russians captured 121, it had two Right tracks. So this is likely to be our friend 111, which became 2, which became 5, which became 31.

David

28.02.2010 14:00 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

#5 Anfang 1943 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

David Byrden has established that there was more than one set of Tigers numbered 1-5 in early 1943. As a rough split, the first set comprises Tigers in whitewash and the second set is post-thaw. For the earlier of the two sets, we have gallery pics of #1 to #4, but not #5.

It has been previously established that these 3 pics are linked by the bow track stowage. Kleine & Kuehne name it as Lt. Meyer’s, taken in Badayev, which gives a date in February 1943.

These further pics are all a match based on the bow track stowage, whitewash on the MG ball housing and paint pot on the glacis.

A kill marking of an aeroplane (by radio operator Gerd Fritsche presumably) is being added in this grab taken from ‘1943-03-17 Wochenschau Nr. 654’. Link:
http://nsl-archiv.info/Filme/Deutsche-Wochenschauen/heil.php

A matching pic from a book which I have been unable to recall

Lt Meyer's radio operator Gerd Fritsche from Kleine & Kuehne’s ‘Tiger the History of a Legendary Weapon’

Two pics from Restayn’s ‘Tiger I on the Eastern Front’ (p.29)

In an earlier post, referring to this Tiger David states:
“12 February 1943. Lt. Meyer's Early Tiger is solid white. It must be 1, 2 or 4”.

This Tiger should belong to the 'Anfang 1943' set, of whitewashed Tigers, but does not seem to be a match for any of #’s 1 to 4 in that gallery.
#1 Mantlet not reinforced
#2 Early hull lacks track stowage
#3 Initial hull
#4 Lacks track stowage

Trojca tells us that Lt. Meyer's mount was #5, and it seems that as the Tiger we see here is not #1 - 4, it should be #5.

Perhaps it would help to confirm the identity of this Tiger if there is a record linking an aeroplane kill by a radio operator to a particular Tiger / turret #?

Also, is it possible to date the Wochenschau footage, to help confirm the timeframe as 'Anfang 1943'?

Finally, any suggestions as to the identity of the Tiger in the background here?

Gallery Size:

Cheers,

Chris.

29.03.2010 14:47 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I think this is the same Tiger but it had no turret number.

Long time i had doubts that this Tiger belonged to the same serie of pics with Tiger 1, 3 and 4.

Interesting is BTW that the Tigers 1, 2 and 4 were reequiped with the initial henschel standard Tiger bin but this Tiger here had the second/end version of the bin.

29.03.2010 19:30 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Hi Hartmut,

I think you are correct that they are the same Tiger. This pic from the same series is a match on the loader's hatch.

To clarify your comment "Long time i had doubts that this Tiger belonged to the same serie of pics with Tiger 1, 3 and 4.", are you suggesting:
* that there was a #5 but this is not it?
* that this is/will be #5 but the number has yet to be added?
* that this would be #5 but the number is never added?

Cheers,

Chris.

30.03.2010 10:42 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Maybe i am to confused here but.......

We see three new early Tiger on this time im Febr.43.

Tiger#1, Tiger#2 and Tiger#4.

All of this Tigers had a reequiped early(bigger one)grey Tiger bin welded on probably later in the field.

This Tiger here comes up with the new standard bin and so it can´t be Tiger#1, 2 or 4. In fact this Tiger should not be there in early Febr. cause he would be a fourth new Tiger for the 1./501. But we should have only three new Tigers there.

To me this leaves the only conclusion that this Tiger in question is one of the later deliveries to Tossno around 20.Febr.

Tiger#5 numbered in early Febr.42 should be an initial then.

edit:

For this and the other new Tigers from 20 Fber. delivery we should maybe put our focus to the serie of not numbered tanks in Tossno/Repairground?

30.03.2010 12:21 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Thanks for the clarification.

As I am in the process of updating the '502 Ab Mai 1943' gallery, I will assume that the un-numbered tanks in Tossno/Repairground belong in the earlier gallery.

Cheers,

Chris.

31.03.2010 12:16 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitat:
Original von Chris Brown
Thanks for the clarification.

As I am in the process of updating the '502 Ab Mai 1943' gallery, I will assume that the un-numbered tanks in Tossno/Repairground belong in the earlier gallery.

Cheers,

Chris.

Thats what i believe in the moment. May we should give that time frame from Febr.43 to June 43 more space and try to find out wich photo belonged to it. I guess it could help to give all those many unidentified Tigers a better order.

31.03.2010 12:33 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Lt. Meyer's tank Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Another photo for the group "Lt. Meyer" can be found on page 138 of "Tigers on the Eastern Front" (hardback).

David

04.04.2010 23:27 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

You meant this from the Mai 43 section?

05.04.2010 09:00 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

The additional photo of Meyer's Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

The additional photo of Meyer's that I promised... page 138 of "Tigers / Eastern Front" (gallery sized):

David

07.04.2010 17:01 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

#4 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Towards the bottom of page 2 of this thread, there is a discussion as to whether this Tiger belongs here in 502 or to 4.Kp LAH.

Trojca's new publication 'Tiger 1942-1943 Technical and Operational History' captions it as #4 of 502 and rubbishes the suggestion of it being 4.Kp LAH. There is no source creditted for the photo.

This closeup from the book is maybe a little clearer and confirms the presence of a #4. The large size, style and position all point to a single digit as used by 502 rather than the three digit number used by 4.Kp LAH.

This Tiger does not match the original whitewashed #4 but since the original discussion David Byrden has identified that there were two series of Tigers numbered 1-5. We currently have no candidates for the later #4

These original matches made by Hartmut von Holdt still seem good and are further candidates for this later #4.

Any thoughts?

Chris.

15.04.2010 16:22 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Sounds like the best explaination for this Tiger.

15.04.2010 20:53 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

#33 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Gallery addition from.....

Trojca's excellent new publication 'Tiger 1942-1943 Technical and Operational History'.

Chris.

18.04.2010 21:42 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

#123 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Gallery Size rear view of #123 from Trojca's new publication 'Tiger 1942-1943 Technical and Operational History'

Chris

21.04.2010 20:45 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Well, that's annoying...

The photo shows that 123 had its jack mounted on the left side, like 111. So this photo can NOT be 123 as I thought:

David

22.04.2010 10:12 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Possible '5' Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Of the whitewashed tanks whose numbers we don't know, this is the only one where the cross has been painted over:

That suggests it's the missing number 5 from January 1943. Any opinions?

David

13.06.2010 14:55 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Hi David,

#5 is a good possibility. The newish Troijca book suggests the number is either 5 or 100.

Chris

14.06.2010 14:36 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Rob Fraser
Gast

502? Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

On Ebay

No connection with the seller

Edit: Seller had recycled url on ebay so picture of a model tank was shown in error. Chris.

23.06.2010 04:49
Seiten (9): « erste ... « vorherige 2 3 [4] 5 6 nächste » ... letzte »  
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: