Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.501/424 » Ergänzung zur Gallerie 501 Tunesien » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Seiten (13): « erste ... « vorherige 2 3 [4] 5 6 nächste » ... letzte » Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
James Burns
Mitglied

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

I noticed the crouching tiger too. I would also gather that the section of track just to the left of the sprocket were the spare links carried on the front making it a 2Kp Tiger. If we could only get a better look at its turret in that b&w photo and look for a number!

Great finds btw!

James

09.09.2010 07:40 James Burns ist offline Email an James Burns senden Beiträge von James Burns suchen Nehmen Sie James Burns in Ihre Freundesliste auf Füge James Burns in deine Contact-Liste ein YIM Screenname: swathdiver
Allen Dail
Expert

Some new pics of sPzAbt501 tigers Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

A Few new photos of 501 tigers . The first onis of a kod tiger that reminded me of 111 at Beja. It seems similar but what appears to be the gun tube sticking up in the air and the background is different.

The photo is from page 32 of Panzers of Kasserine the Afrika Korps in Tunisia campaign series by Claude Gillono 2008 the factory publishing isbn 978-0-9804631-1-8

There are also some new photos of 141s engine change . This is from page 28 and the side view is from 29.

this is a very good book and shows a lot of captured us halftracks and panzer IV S and III S moving to the front.
Not a lot of new Tiger photos though.
Here is one more shot of 141s engine change from Waffen Arsenal Band 182 Moteren und Getriebe Deustcher Panzer 1935-1945 by Fred Koch.
Top of page 40

Regards Allen

27.01.2011 00:41 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Thank you for the new pics!

I have no idea in the moment what Tiger wreck that is.

30.01.2011 12:21 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Just a small point on Tiger 131/731.

This pic shows that 731 was very probably 131 before.

The remnants of the "1" are obvisionly. It seems to confirm that 131 was renumbered just by wash away the "1" and paint a new "7".

I was nearly convinced that Tiger 731 had the turret of Tiger 121 because 121 had the same stalking Tiger painted on the same position on the left turret side. But we see here on this pic really clear that only the first digit was repainted but not the second. There is no point that the second digit the "3" was new painted over an old "2".

31.01.2011 21:53 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Nice new photo Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello Hartmut
Nice new photo of 731 ex 131.
Here is the pic of 121 with tiger and name on turret. Does anyone have or know where a better quality reproduction is .

This is from page 16 of tigers in combat stackpole softcover. I was thinking before that this may be Maus or Mausi or something like that . it looked a little too short to be Norbert . But the quality is not that good and you can only enlarge it so much before it blurs out to a blob.
Now we know that 131 was Norbert and 121 is (maus)?? or something else.
Allen

01.02.2011 21:11 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Greg Del Nero
Mitglied

121 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi Allen

I always thought the name on Tiger 121 was "Alwin".
I have TIC 1 hardcover and the photo is much clearer, but still open to interpretation. The Stackpole version does not do Mr. Schneider's tremendous work much justice.

Best regards

Greg

02.02.2011 17:21 Greg Del Nero ist offline Email an Greg Del Nero senden Beiträge von Greg Del Nero suchen Nehmen Sie Greg Del Nero in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Thanks Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Thanks Greg . You are proabbly right with Alwin. Like you said the photo quality in the stackpole book is not that great.
Thanks again Allen

05.02.2011 00:31 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

New Thoughts on 823 in service and ko d Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello
I have been studying these two photos that have been discussed before in the galley listed as Tiger223 umnummeriert zu 823 .
I believe that the tank behind the Sdkfz 231 is 111 and the other one is 823.

the scan does not show it too well but looking at the photo in the squadron signal Afrika korps in action with a manginfying glass you can see that the tiger has an unreinforced mantlet and just barely see the two shot repairs. The pic below is just for reference , to show 111’s features.

In the photo of 823 in action you can see the reinforced mantlet and the standard headlights. 823 has them in this photo as well as in the photo at Beja after its demo or destruction.

This leads me to believe this is 111 and 823 passing the same area by the photographer similar to earlier photos where the columns pass a photographer.
Allen

18.02.2011 20:24 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

You should be right! I put him to 111.

06.03.2011 20:58 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Rob Fraser
Researcher

142 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Larger image of Chris's post a few pages back.

I thought it had been posted before, couldn't find it in the gallery either.
Rob

22.04.2011 05:04 Rob Fraser ist offline Email an Rob Fraser senden Beiträge von Rob Fraser suchen Nehmen Sie Rob Fraser in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

RE: 142 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Rob Fraser
Larger image of Chris's post a few pages back.

I thought it had been posted before, couldn't find it in the gallery either.
Rob

Fits nicely with the North Irish Horse battle reports from the period: "About this time Lieut. Hern had a shot at a Mark VI and holed it through the turret."

http://northirishhorse.net/wwII/BattleReports/3.html

Before first light on 28th February A Squadron returned to take up their position in "The Loop" and while doing this Major Ketchell's tank was hit by an anti-tank gun, Sjt. Walters and Tpr. Nursey being instantly killed and Major Ketchell badly wounded. The Squadron 2nd in Command, and Reconnaissance officer Captains R. J. Griffith and P.CM. Sinclair, were not present owing to broken-down tanks and the command of the Squadron devolved for the time being upon Lieut. W. R. Hern. It was not long before reports began to come in to Lt. Col. Dawnay, whose Headquarters was situated at Headquarters, the 128th Infantry Brigade, at Sidi Mimech, of enemy armour manoeuvring in the area. Orders were immediately given to Captain Sinclair that on no account were his tanks to go forward to engage the enemy but he was to wait for them to come on to him. Major Rew was then ordered to leave one Troop in his locality by the Munchar and to lead the remainder of his Squadron to take up a position around Ksar Mezouar Station. This was successfully accomplished without loss and Major Rew took over local command of the area com­prising " The Loop," Ksar Mezouar Farm, "T" Road west of Djebel Munchar and Ksar Mezouar Station, Capt. Griffith, who arrived at about 1100 hours, being in command of A Squadron in "The Loop." Major Rew immediately made a reconnais­sance, liaised with the infantry and organised his defensive positions quickly and effectively. After mid-day enemy activity increased, and their armour continued to manoeuvre around probing for a weak spot. About this time Lieut. Hern had a shot at a Mark VI and holed it through the turret. At the same time he was hit by a ricochet and wounded in the back of the neck. He was im­mediately evacuated. At 1400 hours the enemy put in his real attack and advanced along the more easterly road of the "Antlers" with the object of forcing his way through the defile. This attack was met by our tanks, the anti-tank guns in the area and heavy artillery fire and was decisively defeated, several enemy tanks being set on fire and knocked out. Shortly after this Capt. Griffith proceeded to Headquarters, and 4th Hampshires, and on his return reported a number of German tanks in the valley out of range of our 6-pounders. The location of these tanks was given to the medium artillery who put down a concentration for about 30 minutes and, when darkness fell, Capt. Evans, R.E., went forward and found one disabled German tank which he blew up.

In the evening of this day the German armour formed up again with the obvious intention of putting in another attack. Our reconnaissance Troop, commanded by and Lieut. H. E. Irwin, which had done invaluable work in providing extra observation posts throughout the day reported this concentration of tanks and the medium artillery was immediately brought to bear on this splendid target with disastrous results to the enemy who, after one tank had been hit, were thrown into a state of confusion. Next morning their tanks were found abandoned.

22.04.2011 17:48 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winner
Expert

Iwas looking at some of my photos and I noticed something. I know these are both known photos. First photo of Tiger 142, second photo Pz.III 03

But I think that both tanks are in both pictures. I just noticed the details on both tanks and put it together.

The mess tins on the storage bin give 142 away in the second photo.

Also where I wrote 2 shovels I have noticed on the second picture are the gun cleaning tools, the shovels are more to the back of the tank and the handles are probably behind the cleaning tools.

12.05.2011 09:34 John Winner ist offline Email an John Winner senden Beiträge von John Winner suchen Nehmen Sie John Winner in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

111 / 112? Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

El Bathan according to the caption.

Currently on ebay.de

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.de/FOTO-PANZER-Panzer-VI...=item5644eb2e40

No connection with the seller,

Chris.

30.06.2011 22:20 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Hello Chris Nice new pic of 112. You can tell by the stains and marks on the front plate and shell hit repairs. Allen

30.06.2011 23:13 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Agreed, just don't recall seeing kill rings on 112 before.

Chris.

01.07.2011 00:49 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Nice photo....thank you!

In fact we are talking about 724 renumbered from former 112. As 724 he had allready kill rings on the barrel and when he was finaly abandoned at the half island Bone he showed more kill rings(about 12 or so).

112/724 is one of the most interesting Tigers to me.

01.07.2011 07:31 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I think this blurry piece of pic shows the right side view of Tiger 111.

04.07.2011 20:25 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitat:
Original von Hartmut von Holdt
Heidi

Some time ago a member in another forum start a little research about his grandfather. His granpa was in the staff of 501. One of the photos he post in the forum was this one with his grandpa standing on the right side.

In the same timeframe the photo on top was selled on ebay. We worked allready out in the PA-Forum that we see both Tigers here. "Heidi" in front an the other with the stalking Tiger behind.

Chris Brown worked out that both Tigers have small Balkenkreuze and that it is a modification of staff Tigers.

Now after we found Tiger 11 and he had also the big Balkenkreuz like all others in 1./501 and by the fact we see staff member together with this Tigers, should make sure now that these two Tigers are # 01 and #02!

I just want to clarify this because we hear from time to time "Heidi" here and what was the role of that Tiger.

What we not know is wich Tiger is 01 and wich is 02. To me it looks like the veterans Tiger had a armour tube for star antenna on the back. If so then it would be easy to identify as Tiger 02 cause Tiger 01 had not tube on the back. But probably we have to doubt that they had Tiger Befehlswagen in those early days.

The veteran was in staff untill March/April 1943. From this time on he had command in a Tiger for around two or three weeks. Then he was wounded in the area of the salt lakes near "Gabes".

That is the veteran

So he take part in the fightings around "Marknassy" with the Abteilung 504.

I am not sure how many Tigers 501 had on hand those days but if we believe the reports then they had Tiger 111, 01, 02, 712, 721, 722, 724, 731, 732

111 was lost in the Beja area and so there is probably an error in the reports. Maybe it was Tiger 11 but not 111?

We have two photos of the veterans Tiger here:

That Tiger have to be one of the last tanks.

We can rule out 712 cause it was a later prod.Tiger.

Any ideas wich Tiger this could be?

Some thoughts to the identity of this Tiger.

We see some new pics and heard some new information from another crew member of a staff Tiger in 501 in the collector´s corner allready.

The(at least for me) new information was, that both staff Tigers were given to the fighting Kompanie(1.Komp.) and the staff used only the Panzer III of the light Kompanie.

That could be the answer why we couldn´t identify the Tiger so far whos seen in my post above. In that post i told from another member of the staff Kompanie who became a commander of his own Tiger on the end of the campaign.

Now it is very possible that he taked over one of the staff Tiger and the photos with the not identified Tiger shows in fact 01 or 02.

It looks to me that he had a small Balkenkreuz painted like we know from staff Tigers.

BTW: It is also possible we see a staff Tiger(01) here and maybe it is the same Tiger as above?

05.07.2011 11:29 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

2nd 111 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello Hartmut
I was under the impression that the second 111 came from 504. In Jentz's Tiger I & II Kampf und Taktik Page 65 it says the following "Am 13.April 1943 meldete die Schwere Panzerabteilung 501 ,dass ihr noch acht Tiger(mit turmnummer 01,01{think misprint 02},712,721,722,724,731,732)und sieben PzIII(75)(mit din Turmnummern 713,715,723,725,733,734) plus 1 Tiger (Turmnummer 111) und vier panIII(5Lg) (mit turmnummern 01,02,113,114, unterstellt von der1.Kompanie/schwere Panzerabteilung 504 fur den Einsatz zur Verfugung stunden.In der Zwischen zeit waren alle Tiger und Panzer III Ausf N der Schwere Panabteilung 501 unnumeriert und in der 1.Kompanie zusammengefasst worden." Then a little further down it says"18 april 1943 wurde die 1 Kompanie,Schwere Panzerabteilung 501 zusammen mit teilen des panregt 5 and 8 der kampfgruppe Ickens unterstellt. Am 19 April Meldete die 1 Kompanie,Schwere Panzerabteilung 501 ihre Einsatzstarke mit funf Tigern(Turmnummer 111,712,724,731,732) und sechs Pnazer III Ausf N (713,723,725,733,734,735,und drei Pnazer III Ausf M(01,113,114). Hope this helps. sorry for my bad typeing in German was typeing faat and cant type that well. I agree your blurry pic above appears to be the right side of 111. Great find. Allen

05.07.2011 23:29 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Thanks for the lists i know them. IIRC the Tiger 111 was named at first. I think we can be sure that the Tiger 111 was lost before in the Beja grave. Here we have probably an error and may this was Tiger 11 instead. On the other hand we don´t know whats happend with Tiger 141. We never see a Tiger 721 and never a Tiger 722.

06.07.2011 07:38 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

re 111's Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello Hartmut
I did not point out my theory that well as was concentrating on my typeing which I should proofread. Yes,I agree 1/501's Tiger 111 was lost at Beja. It looks like according to the list that 1/504 transferred 1 tiger and four Pan III's to 1/501 and that the second 111 was origianally a 1/504 tiger. I should have tried to explain it better in my previous post.Allen

06.07.2011 19:43 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

RE: Pic of 132 I was talking about and a few more guesses Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Allen Dail
Hello Guys
going to try and post photos but from photobucket with this post. I do not have ascanner so took pics of book so I could illustrate.
First pic is 132 track maint regular and cropped page 21 top from tiger western front

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb300...il/DSCI2830.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb300...il/DSCI2829.jpg
The guy sitting on the track looks so similar to the guy looking into the arabs basket.

Allen

I think you are right again. These two guys are the same persons, so it was very probably Tiger 132.

07.07.2011 11:01 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winner
Expert

That man looks like he might be part of the maintanence company, since he is wearing a one piece cover-all. So, he may have worked on many of the tanks. Just something to consider.

07.07.2011 11:08 John Winner ist offline Email an John Winner senden Beiträge von John Winner suchen Nehmen Sie John Winner in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I am not agree, that isn´t an overall. Do you see him on other Tigers too?

07.07.2011 11:25 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winner
Expert

I do not see him in any other pictures. Just thought I would suggest that he is from maintanence. It really looks like an overall to me.

Is there a slightly wider version of the picture with the arab man?

07.07.2011 11:55 John Winner ist offline Email an John Winner senden Beiträge von John Winner suchen Nehmen Sie John Winner in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Sadly i don´t know any wider version.

07.07.2011 12:03 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Hartmut, going back a few posts the base of the Balkenkreuz on the left side of this Tiger looks to be higher than seen on 01 and 02.....

http://www.tiif.de/bilder/501formerstafftiger4.jpg

Looks like its a different hull.

Chris.

07.07.2011 14:20 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Thats why i ruled out 02. For 01 i am not so sure cause the photo quality not really allow us to say if there is a gap between Kreuz and skirts....at least for me.

07.07.2011 14:32 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

RE: 2nd 111 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Allen Dail
Hello Hartmut
I was under the impression that the second 111 came from 504. In Jentz's Tiger I & II Kampf und Taktik Page 65 it says the following "Am 13.April 1943 meldete die Schwere Panzerabteilung 501 ,dass ihr noch acht Tiger(mit turmnummer 01,01{think misprint 02},712,721,722,724,731,732)und sieben PzIII(75)(mit din Turmnummern 713,715,723,725,733,734) plus 1 Tiger (Turmnummer 111) und vier panIII(5Lg) (mit turmnummern 01,02,113,114, unterstellt von der1.Kompanie/schwere Panzerabteilung 504 fur den Einsatz zur Verfugung stunden.In der Zwischen zeit waren alle Tiger und Panzer III Ausf N der Schwere Panabteilung 501 unnumeriert und in der 1.Kompanie zusammengefasst worden." Then a little further down it says"18 april 1943 wurde die 1 Kompanie,Schwere Panzerabteilung 501 zusammen mit teilen des panregt 5 and 8 der kampfgruppe Ickens unterstellt. Am 19 April Meldete die 1 Kompanie,Schwere Panzerabteilung 501 ihre Einsatzstarke mit funf Tigern(Turmnummer 111,712,724,731,732) und sechs Pnazer III Ausf N (713,723,725,733,734,735,und drei Pnazer III Ausf M(01,113,114). Hope this helps. sorry for my bad typeing in German was typeing faat and cant type that well. I agree your blurry pic above appears to be the right side of 111. Great find. Allen

Do we have the original report/document somewhere?

07.07.2011 16:41 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitat:
Original von Hartmut von Holdt
This one makes me crazy........

A big dark blotch is visible on the left mudguard and so it should be easy to identify. But i can´t find a match and still have no idea wich Tiger that is.

Maybe we need the help of Stefan, the owner of the photos here too...

The first pic i gave to Tiger 132, but the others from the photo album of Karl-Heinz Kemcke is not 132.

I am really not sure wich photos in the album actally show Karl-Heinz Kemcke, but i think he could be a crew member of Tiger 111.

The serie of blurry pics above and the other from the back in the album shows possibly Tiger 111.

Still Tiger 142 could be a possible match here but i can´t see on those pics if the Tiger have clamps for a shovel on the front glassies or not.

12.07.2011 14:16 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

There are some problems to identify the Tigers 111 and 11 cause alone the turret number caused enough irritation......

After i made some observations on Tiger 111 again i ask myself why he was in such a pretty used and damaged bad shape before the last Beja action. He showed many hits plugged with repair metal selfmade mudguard etc. But from what battle he got that damages who change his face in a very short time.

The answer is simple cause it is not Tiger 111.

The explanation for the battle damages is that this Tiger was in the first hard battle around Jedeida and he was Tiger 11 but not 111!

I know this seems weird for some of you guys cause we just thought we found Tiger 111 in the turret upside down wreck at Beja. But the work with photos is sometimes very complicating and errors are unpreventable. Importent is that you look from time to time over it and try to work new informations or ideas into it.

Anyway, without telling to much about the comparision i think the best is you guys compare by yourself and make your own conclusion.

12.07.2011 18:00 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

111?(11) Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello Hartmut
I Agree that you have to keep reinterpreting your work on new info and pics. I have always believed both of these tanks being 111. My theory is until losses or mechanical forces otherwise your march order is sorta by turret number. So first march we see111/11 then 112 on the street in new condition.Second with battle damge we see 111/11 and two panzer III's the first is 113 I belive and the second is a light platoon one, can't think which one right off hand. Then we have 121 and 122. According to Herr Krebs 112 is not with them at this time becaue it was under repair during period of losses at Beja.That is assuming this line up series is in that time frame. I still dont get the 11 for a command tank. I could and probably am wrong, but if this is 11 should'nt we see the stalking tiger on the front plate.And we have the front plate in the group of 5 with a stalking tiger on it. I am open to it being 11 but I guess I am on the fence till better photos probably not likely or infromation comes up. Hopefully we will get this sorted out. Allen

12.07.2011 19:54 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I know you doubt existence of Tiger 11, but to make it clear.......the correction here(at least for me) is only that the Beja wreck is not 111 but of course it is Tiger 11.

Tiger 11 had no stalking Tiger on the frontplate, that was Tiger 01.

I btw would love to know how Jentz came to the conclusion that the chief Tiger of 1./501 was Tiger 11(not 100). Do you know something about that?

12.07.2011 20:22 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
James Burns
Mitglied

Me too! We have no 100% positive photographic evidence or documents proving it that I'm aware of.

James

14.07.2011 21:59 James Burns ist offline Email an James Burns senden Beiträge von James Burns suchen Nehmen Sie James Burns in Ihre Freundesliste auf Füge James Burns in deine Contact-Liste ein YIM Screenname: swathdiver
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

The problem sometimes is not to see a thing but to stand to it.

15.07.2011 07:05 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

RE: Great photo Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Allen Dail
Hello Everyone
Nice new photo Mario. I notice a 501 tiger insignia on the front plate beside the jeep. It got me to thinking and I checked my books and photos I have of 501 tigers for tigers.
Could 2/501 be the only part of this unit to paint the insignia on their tigers. I Know panzer III ‘s had them painted on.
All I could find was 121 had a tiger and a name on the right side of the tank like 731 Norbert.
Which lead me to believe 121 and 731 might have been the same tank or at least its turret ended up on another hull.
But the side shot of 121 you cant quite make out the name. If it is Maus or Norbert.
I digress sorry, But the only tigers I seem to find the tiger painted on are. 833, 823,712, 241,243,231 which are all ex 2 company tanks and the front plate in the new photo.
Just another one of my theories, what do you guys think.
Also do we know any more signal corps numbers for this series of pics.
We have 175521 or 221 for the new pic 175564 and 176000 for this group of Tigers and 175517-175519 for the three by the railroad (823,833,and 111).
Allen

The stalking Tiger on this photo is on the "original" place for 2./501 Tigers. The unit emblem was initialy painted on the front plate lhs left from drivers visior.
Apart from 2.Kompanie it was only Tiger 01 who had the emblem painted on that place.
The 2.Kompanie seems had painted it on all their Tigers but later they modified the front with extra spare track holders and the unit emblem was painted a second time over the driver visior. So the 2.Komp. Tigers had actualy 2 stalking Tigers on the front.

The front part on this new photo has a stalking Tiger painted on the initial place. Further more it looks like there is a rack mod for extra spare tracks(Panzer III) between drivers visior and MG ball. So this is probably a front plate of and 2.Kompanie Tiger again.

17.07.2011 18:23 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Photo angle comparison Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Here are some pics to compare how you could not see all of 111/11’s earlier number. This is a sad tamiya tiger with escape hatch that I built in the 80s. Overlook this terrible model and painting. I taped a piece of tracing paper with 111/11 on both sides and tried to match the angle of photos of posssble 111/11 . Also of other angles of pics of the rest of 1st company tanks you can not see the whole number at extreme photo angles. This is just anothe rof my theories. Not the best photos but just trying to get theory across.

20.07.2011 22:57 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

You are correct, that Tiger is a bit sad........;-)

But i can take the Tiger out of question and put him to 111. There is nobody else who believe in a Tiger 11 anyway.

I trying hard to make a step forward and understand all this 501 stuff. But my interest fade away.

20.07.2011 23:18 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I wonder if we have a better scan of this photo somewhere?

It looks to me like the Panzer III had two antennas and a number(2) on his bin.

21.07.2011 12:30 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

not sure if it is better Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello Hartmut
This is the best scan I have right now. I think I may have one a little better on the desktop at home. Will cheak and try to post later.

It does look like their is possibly a number back there. That would make it a command or 2nd company panzer possibily. Which tiger is that looks like a 1st company no turret number rear. A guess (122) just judgeing by bedrolls. But since they can be moved not 100% for id,(or 132).
It is great we you are trying to figure out 501 markings. It is confusing at times and we all get discouraged. We will figure it out that is what is great about you discussion group here.
Allen

21.07.2011 19:55 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Seiten (13): « erste ... « vorherige 2 3 [4] 5 6 nächste » ... letzte »  
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: