Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.501/424 » Ergänzung zur Gallerie 501 Tunesien » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Seiten (13): « vorherige 1 2 [3] 4 5 nächste » ... letzte » Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
John Winwood
Researcher

Tiger 132 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Two photos of 132 that I did not see in the gallery. Source: Tiger an der Front

29.12.2009 03:18 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

RE: 731 and 732 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von John Winwood
Zitat:
Original von Hartmut von Holdt
Zitat:
732 seems to have the same welding marks as 132. Note, additional parts were welded to the starboard side of 732.

I didn´t find a good point that Tiger 132 was renumbered to 732. The "32" seems to be in the very same position, but actually this is all. With these two photos we know of 732 i can´t see similar side skirt welding marks( only with a bit phantasie).
Personly i think Tiger 111 is the hottest candidate for renumbered to 732.

The weld marks seem to match 132 and possibly 122?

I thought it was to vague to show weldmarks on 732. But if you and others accept these marks then we can go on.

A comparision between 132, 732 and 122.......

If we compare weldmarks here then it schould be 132 but not 122 who share similar traces.

Theres a bit space between the Balkenkreuz and the side skirts on 132 and 732, but no space on 122.

From my "feeling" i would tend to 132 renumbered to 732 but..........

29.12.2009 12:10 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

RE: Tiger 132 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Two photos of 132 that I did not see in the gallery. Source: Tiger an der Front

The second photo looks like a good scan. Can we have this bigger?

29.12.2009 12:11 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

This one makes me crazy........

A big dark blotch is visible on the left mudguard and so it should be easy to identify. But i can´t find a match and still have no idea wich Tiger that is.

Maybe we need the help of Stefan, the owner of the photos here too...

02.01.2010 21:21 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Unfortunately those pics are not in the Warfare Through the Lens collection.

I also had assumed that the presence of the pics of #111 and #121 known from the 'Powerliner' sale meant the collection had these pics too. When the album first appeared in the collection, I asked whether some Tiger photos had been omitted and have been assured that all the Tiger photos in the album have been included. I can only assume that the album the collection has is from a different source or that the seller 'Powerliner' had more than one album from 501 with different contents.

Someone, somewhere has them. Hopefully one day soon we will see them again.

Chris.

02.01.2010 23:19 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I will risk a guess and say it is Tiger 142.

It should be in the same timeframe/days when this BA shot were taken.

03.01.2010 18:06 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
James Burns
Mitglied

In the first photo with the Tunisian, isn't the guy on the right from the 122 Tiger?

Those other photos came from an album back in 2007 I think and also showed a Tiger with the name Heidi along a fence.

James

05.01.2010 14:49 James Burns ist offline Email an James Burns senden Beiträge von James Burns suchen Nehmen Sie James Burns in Ihre Freundesliste auf Füge James Burns in deine Contact-Liste ein YIM Screenname: swathdiver
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

This one we have as Tiger 141 in the gallery.

I can´t recall why hes as 141 in the gallery....from a book or something?
Anyway, this photo shows one more time Tiger 111.

The second digit is not a "4"! But if we compare him with Tiger 111 then we notice thats its very probably 111 too. BTW hes missing the hatch of commanders cuppola.

And the following Tiger is again 112.

The next Tiger is in the gallery as not identified.

The turret number is 14?.........so by looking on the slidely damaged side skirt(141 was clean there) i would identify him as Tiger 142.

06.01.2010 11:21 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
James Burns
Mitglied

Great detective work Hartmut!

Is that burn cream on the tank commander's face?

James

06.01.2010 16:05 James Burns ist offline Email an James Burns senden Beiträge von James Burns suchen Nehmen Sie James Burns in Ihre Freundesliste auf Füge James Burns in deine Contact-Liste ein YIM Screenname: swathdiver
Allen Dail
Expert

possible 132 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Not sure if this is going to work but I am trying to link to the pics in other post.
http://i25.tinypic.com/347iv12.jpg
tiger 132 with guy in chair and one sitting on edge of hull
http://www.tiif.de/bilder/501nidarkmudguard1.jpg
possible 132 guy looking in arabs basket camo net on gun and guy with hands on hips with jerrycan at feet.
I think this is 132 the guy sitting on the edge of the turret looks like the guy with his hands on his hips.
I do not have the pic here but the pic of 132 doing track maint on the road the guy sitting on the track by the drive sproket looks like the guy looking in the basket.
Could this be 132?

06.01.2010 16:30 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Heidi

Some time ago a member in another forum start a little research about his grandfather. His granpa was in the staff of 501. One of the photos he post in the forum was this one with his grandpa standing on the right side.

In the same timeframe the photo on top was selled on ebay. We worked allready out in the PA-Forum that we see both Tigers here. "Heidi" in front an the other with the stalking Tiger behind.

Chris Brown worked out that both Tigers have small Balkenkreuze and that it is a modification of staff Tigers.

Now after we found Tiger 11 and he had also the big Balkenkreuz like all others in 1./501 and by the fact we see staff member together with this Tigers, should make sure now that these two Tigers are # 01 and #02!

I just want to clarify this because we hear from time to time "Heidi" here and what was the role of that Tiger.

What we not know is wich Tiger is 01 and wich is 02. To me it looks like the veterans Tiger had a armour tube for star antenna on the back. If so then it would be easy to identify as Tiger 02 cause Tiger 01 had not tube on the back. But probably we have to doubt that they had Tiger Befehlswagen in those early days.

The veteran was in staff untill March/April 1943. From this time on he had command in a Tiger for around two or three weeks. Then he was wounded in the area of the salt lakes near "Gabes".

That is the veteran

So he take part in the fightings around "Marknassy" with the Abteilung 504.

I am not sure how many Tigers 501 had on hand those days but if we believe the reports then they had Tiger 111, 01, 02, 712, 721, 722, 724, 731, 732

111 was lost in the Beja area and so there is probably an error in the reports. Maybe it was Tiger 11 but not 111?

We have two photos of the veterans Tiger here:

That Tiger have to be one of the last tanks.

We can rule out 712 cause it was a later prod.Tiger.

Any ideas wich Tiger this could be?

06.01.2010 17:15 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

RE: possible 132 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Allen Dail
Not sure if this is going to work but I am trying to link to the pics in other post.
http://i25.tinypic.com/347iv12.jpg
tiger 132 with guy in chair and one sitting on edge of hull
http://www.tiif.de/bilder/501nidarkmudguard1.jpg
possible 132 guy looking in arabs basket camo net on gun and guy with hands on hips with jerrycan at feet.
I think this is 132 the guy sitting on the edge of the turret looks like the guy with his hands on his hips.
I do not have the pic here but the pic of 132 doing track maint on the road the guy sitting on the track by the drive sproket looks like the guy looking in the basket.
Could this be 132?

I thought it isn´t 132 but may if someone have a realy good scan of this pic we can match again.

06.01.2010 17:34 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Best I have....

Source: Tiger I On The Western Front - Restayn

Chris.

06.01.2010 22:02 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitat:
Original von Chris Brown
Best I have....

http://i46.tinypic.com/2jebd55.jpg

Source: Tiger I On The Western Front - Restayn

Chris.

Thank you!

07.01.2010 07:32 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Pic of 132 I was talking about and a few more guesses Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello Guys
going to try and post photos but from photobucket with this post. I do not have ascanner so took pics of book so I could illustrate.
First pic is 132 track maint regular and cropped page 21 top from tiger western front

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb300...il/DSCI2830.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb300...il/DSCI2829.jpg
The guy sitting on the track looks so similar to the guy looking into the arabs basket.

My second idea is after looking at photos again this blurry image from tiger western front 20 bottom
I believe this may be 712 ex 821 ex 221
Look at the bend in the second fender and then in the pics of 712 from bot of page 32 tiger western front
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb300...il/DSCI2831.jpg
possible712
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb300...il/DSCI2832.jpg
close possible
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb300...il/DSCI2834.jpg

My last theory concerns the tiger link posted by john winwood unknown tiger 1 from us veterans photo in tigers zuordnung hereon this page
http://www.csm-gear.us/dad_WWII/DeadTiger.jpg
The theory at the time was sicily.
The veteran served in north africa and italy so that brings me to my theoary which is a possible longshot.

I have maked what appeared to be a large digit of a turret number and either possible a mod 1st comp headlight or a track of 2nd comp 501.
This is just my wild guess after looking at 504 vehicles and crosses. The cross is unsually far back and no rhomboid mark of 1st or 2nd comp 504

Allen

07.01.2010 17:56 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

forgot pic Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb300.../DeadTigera.jpg
possible 501 pic from vets page

07.01.2010 18:00 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

RE: Pic of 132... and a few more guesses Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi Allen,

Quite a lot to look at here....

Zitat:
I have maked what appeared to be a large digit of a turret number and either possible a mod 1st comp headlight or a track of 2nd comp 501. This is just my wild guess after looking at 504 vehicles and crosses. The cross is unsually far back and no rhomboid mark of 1st or 2nd comp 504

I think you may be on to something here. The cross is unlike those we see in 1.Kp but resembles those seen later in 8.Kp (presumably ex-2.Kp). The bit of turret number we see could be a #2. The item by the driver's visor would then be a bracket for track stowage.

Source: Tigers at the front - Jentz

Next....
Zitat:
First pic is 132 track maint regular and cropped page 21 top from tiger western front

The guy sitting on the track looks so similar to the guy looking into the arabs basket.

I can see some resemblance, particularly in the way the hat is worn. Don't think there's enough here to make a confirmed match.

Next...

Zitat:
.. after looking at photos again this blurry image from tiger western front p.20 bottom. I believe this may be 712 ex 821 ex 221
Look at the bend in the second fender and then in the pics of 712 from bottom of page 32 tiger western front

Looks like there is a disruption in the skirts about the same place, but the damage looks different.

Gallery Size:

Chris.

09.01.2010 12:27 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

RE: Pic of 132... and a few more guesses Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Chris Brown
Hi Allen,

Quite a lot to look at here....

Zitat:
I have maked what appeared to be a large digit of a turret number

The bit of turret number we see could be a #2. The item by the driver's visor would then be a bracket for track stowage.

Chris.

Can someone please show exactly the part of the Turret number ?

09.01.2010 19:15 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Hello Hartmut Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

what appears to be part of a 2 of a turret number is over the bill of the last guys cap. Were my poor excuse of an arrow is.
My theory is after looking at all known hull crosses is 02. But not 100% because no photo of 211,243,or 200.
Allen

09.01.2010 23:10 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Looks as though the turret is resting on the far side of the hull. There appears to be a small part of a white-outlined number with a darker fill showing. It seems to have the start of a curved top and flat underside, more suggestive of a #2 than a #1. There is no similar digit to its left, which would make this the first digit. The feature is near the top of the turret, suggesting a large font as seen with 501. 504 did not use white outlined numbers in Tunisia/Sicily and as Allen points out there is no painted rhomboid visible, again suggesting 501 is the more likely owner.

Chris.

09.01.2010 23:18 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I think the theory that this is a 501 Tiger should be right(I just thought it was photographed in Italy.....).

It could be a Tiger of the 2.Kompanie or maybe the staff Kompanie. But i doubt that it could be #02 cause the Balkenkreuz is not in the same position.

Possibly it is an initial Tiger? The lines of the side skirt holders looks like the style of field modification on the first Tigers.

To me it looks like there is a grill (blue lines)from the engine deck in the foreground and the turret is behind. The point under your arrows can be the hook for cran tool on the back of the turret. It should be a bit to prominent for a white outline of a number.

09.01.2010 23:56 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Zitat:
To me it looks like there is a grill (blue lines)from the engine deck in the foreground and the turret is behind. The point under your arrows can be the hook for cran tool on the back of the turret. It should be a bit to prominent for a white outline of a number.

Not sure that the 'hook for crane tool on the back of the turret' would have a prominent white outline either and isn't this feature too low on the turret side?

I can see the grill (outlined in blue) and it is obstructing the view of the feature behind. If this is a number, it is still probably the first digit, so it's likely part of a #8 or a #2.

Which way could the barrel be pointing for the turret to be in this position?

Chris.

10.01.2010 19:38 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
James Burns
Mitglied

2 Kp features with the small cross and tool box bracket along with the #2 on the turret. Anyone notice the dunkelgrau feifels?

James

14.01.2010 02:07 James Burns ist offline Email an James Burns senden Beiträge von James Burns suchen Nehmen Sie James Burns in Ihre Freundesliste auf Füge James Burns in deine Contact-Liste ein YIM Screenname: swathdiver
Jerry Mumot
Researcher

Hi

In gallery, there are several late photos of Tigers captioned as belonging to the 10.Panzer-Division. Unfortunately it is not quite correct.

The redesignation of Pz.Abt.501 into III./Pz.Rgt.7 has been ordered by OKH on 26 February 1943. The original document may be found here:
http://downloads.sturmpanzer.net/NARA_RG...8R398_H1_43.pdf (scroll down to the bottom)

But there isn't any evidence these orders have actually been carried out! I have found about 10 references to the 501th in 5. Panzer Army documents from March 1943, and all of them still use their old name. For example, Kriegsgliederung from 4 March has “schw.Pz.Abt.501” as “subordinated directly to the army” and then, “s.Pz.Abt.501” (with 19 Pz.III and 8 Pz.VI) is mentioned in the war diary as attached to KG Lang on 23 March. I have never seen their official new name (III./Pz.Rgt.7) in any document from Africa.

Also, the entire idea of changing the company numbers into 7 and 8 doesn't make any sense for a single reason - Panzer-Regiment 7 was still strong in late February, and in particular, it still had 8 operational companies. Actually, a few of them were advancing on Beja (under Stab II./Pz.Rgt.7) together with the Tigers:

--- 5. company (tanks sunk in transit; unit reequipped with captured U.S. half-tracks mounting 75 mm gun, they reported 7-8 of them operational thru January-February 1943)
--- 7. company (with Pz.III)
--- 8. company (tanks sunk in transit; unit apparently reequipped with Pz.IV sent to Africa as replacements in late December 1942)

There was also 6. company, but it has been detached to HG with 10 Pz.III operational. The rest of the regiment was with Rommel, licking wounds from Kasserine and preparing for Medenine.

Another point - as explained above, OKH ordered to transfer the Tigers on 26 February. However, the secondary sources like Schneider, TiC, claim that redesignation took place BEFORE Ochsenkopf (which begun on the very same day). It just doesn't make a sense.

Hope it helps

10.03.2010 08:03 Jerry Mumot ist offline Email an Jerry Mumot senden Beiträge von Jerry Mumot suchen Nehmen Sie Jerry Mumot in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Two points:

1.501 is listed here in the document of losses under Pz.Rgt.7 of 10 PD.

"Aufstellung der Verluste in Tunesien"

No.3237/43 on 28.6.1943

Page 3

10. Panzerdivision

Pz.Rgt.7

Pz.Abt.501
Stab, Stabskompanie, 2.Kompanie and Werkstattkompanie

2. You version would leave an question open:

Why were the Tiger renumbered with 7 and 8 numbers. To renumber the Tigers dos not make any sense if you are right with your points of complain

From my understanding it is so that the order of Febr.43 could be understand as a order to rename Abt.501. But actually 501 was under command of Pz.Rgt.7/10 PD but never was renamed and they were listened still under Pz.Abt.501 untill the campagne in tunisia was over.

10.03.2010 12:13 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Jerry Mumot
Researcher

Hi Hartmut

Regarding 1 - my point was, there isn't any evidence these orders have actually been obeyed. OKH ordered several changes to organization in the final months, but many of them were ignored by troops. You may also find 504th redesignated as III./8, which was ordered too but certainly didn't happen.

The guys from OKH were in bunkers near Berlin, it is far away from Africa, and they knew little of what was going on there

Zitat:
Why were the Tiger renumbered with 7 and 8 numbers

I didn't find anything explaining it. But in this case, given the status of Tigers as a secret weapon, I can only guess they did it to confuse the enemy intelligence and to make an impression, there is more units with Tigers in Tunisia.

Hartmut, you have already discovered something very important:

Zitat:
Probably Tigers with turret number 7XX and Tigers with 8XX were never seen together.

The 2./501 stoped existing after Beja and the rest of the tanks were renumbered together with the tanks of the 1./502 to the 7.Kompanie of the 10.Panzerdivision.

We know Tiger 712 was an ex 2./501/8./10.PD and we know Tiger 731 was an ex 2./501.

As far as I understand it, the story went as follows:
1. On 31 January, a few 2. company tanks have been destroyed and their wrecks were captured by British. In this way, the existence of this unit has been compromised to enemy intelligence!
2. As a result, all remaining 2. company panzers had their numbers switched into 8XX series in February.
3. Then, tanks from both companies (now carrying 1XX and 8XX numbers) were lost during Ochsenkopf.
4. At that point all the remaining elements have been gathered in the 1. company, and new numbers were painted once again, this time starting with 7.
5. It's kind of ridiculous, but there is a possibility, that they continued this unusual custom further, after additional losses occured. I don't think they did it, but if you find a Tiger photo with number starting with 6 or 9, you know what to think Augen rollen

Hope it helps

10.03.2010 18:23 Jerry Mumot ist offline Email an Jerry Mumot senden Beiträge von Jerry Mumot suchen Nehmen Sie Jerry Mumot in Ihre Freundesliste auf
James Burns
Mitglied

PZIVs were assigned to the 8Kp to operate with the Tigers of the 501st. Some of them took on the numbers of destroyed Tigers that previously carried 8XX numbers. 142 and 823, 833, 111? were all destroyed in close proximity of each other at the same time.

James

10.03.2010 21:12 James Burns ist offline Email an James Burns senden Beiträge von James Burns suchen Nehmen Sie James Burns in Ihre Freundesliste auf Füge James Burns in deine Contact-Liste ein YIM Screenname: swathdiver
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I think this fantasy numbering thing just to confuse enemy and try to made them believe there were more tanks as it was in fact did never happend. I heard it many times and even lot of veterans(even veterans of 501) state that. But in fact we never saw any prove for this and every number system on Tigers were made by the german military intellegence. Number systems on Tigers follow allways a logical military system but never a fantasy system! I think a famtasy system was not possible in german army but possibly the veterans did not allways understand the right sense of renumbering on their Tigers....the just follow orders.

If any fantasy numbering ever happend, why they are not starting that with 3., 4., 5. or 6.Kompanie? Why they should overdone this with the risk to make them selve to fools in the eyes of the enemy by using unbelieveable high numbers?

I don´t believe it is any accident that they take 7 and 8 numbers. It looks more logical to me that the take 7 and 8 numbers because the new III.Abteilung of Pz.Rgt.7 had two(or in fact three=Werkstattkompanie) Kompanies.

Zitat:
Also, the entire idea of changing the company numbers into 7 and 8 doesn't make any sense for a single reason - Panzer-Regiment 7 was still strong in late February, and in particular, it still had 8 operational companies. Actually, a few of them were advancing on Beja (under Stab II./Pz.Rgt.7) together with the Tigers:

Pz.Rgt.7 had a I. Abteilung and a II. Abteilung. Both Abteilungen had 8 Kompanies if im correct here?

Pz.Rgt.7 had no III. Abteilung in early 1943. Pz.Abt.501 was ordered to build the III. Abteilung with 3 Kompanies.

If i am correct here then there was no Kompanie still strong in February because the III.Abteilung did not exsist before.

11.03.2010 11:53 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Jerry Mumot
Researcher

Well, we don't know why they changed numbers, so we can only speculate.

Here's the Gliederung from 6 February.

Blackened rhomboid means unit not available (either sunk in transit, without equipment, not yet arrived, whatever). As you can see the 5. company had no tanks and was reequipped with 7 captured half-tracks instead. Various HQ elements were without vehicles, 8. company was only partially equipped.

Here's the next one, from 4 March:

5. company no longer equipped, Stab elemnts still hardly existing. No trace of the III. Abteilung and their Tigers.

There is photo evidence too that 8. company was still existing and had tanks well after Beja. Many of them were lost near El Guettar on 23 March (823, 831, 8XX):

This photo of Pz.III from 7. company was taken after they adopted the playing card symbols (around March-April 1943)

Hope it helps

12.03.2010 04:42 Jerry Mumot ist offline Email an Jerry Mumot senden Beiträge von Jerry Mumot suchen Nehmen Sie Jerry Mumot in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Paul Boellaard

This one is already in the 501 Tunesien gallery but this picture is a bit more complete, just a few pixels in the right side.

24.03.2010 20:33 Paul Boellaard ist offline Email an Paul Boellaard senden Beiträge von Paul Boellaard suchen Nehmen Sie Paul Boellaard in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Ebay

New ? (at least to me) photo of Tiger 142

From here

13.06.2010 19:24 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Another pic of 724 ex 112 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Photo labeled near Bizerte,Algeria (Tunisia) . I think Algeria was a typo since there were no Tigers there.

The Photo is from roll again Second Armored the prelude to fame 1940-1943 Isbn d 904811 11 5
By Maj Norris H Perkins(Ret) and Michael E Rodgers.

This photo matchs a couple of others already posted here. It just looks like this one is a little earlier, with the forest in the background. Like these two previously posted and now posted in 1st Komp unidentified in the gallery. I do not know if this picture has been posted here are on anther discussion group , but I know I have seen it on the web somewhere.
http://www.tiif.de/bilder/501ANI11.jpg
http://www.tiif.de/bilder/501ANI13.jpg

http://www.tiif.de/bilder/501A712%202.jpg
Then the background forest is similar. Maybe the same area since 712 and 724 ex 112 were two of the last survivors.

24.07.2010 19:06 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Thank you very much for posting this!

And i think you are absolutely correct. I am convinced now that this is the wreck of Tiger 724(former 112)

great find mate

24.07.2010 20:08 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Blondel/Pascal
Gast

Tiger Nr. 141 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello

In the gallery of the sPzAbt. 501 in Tunisia, I did not see this photo of the tiger N ° 141.
To complete the gallery.

Regards

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Blondel/Pascal am 29.07.2010 17:58.

29.07.2010 17:27
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Your pic dos not fully open but i think i know what it shows.

The pic is allready in my to do list, but i didn´t take it to the gallery so far.

Thanks

29.07.2010 17:51 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Beja Tigers Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Less-cropped versions of U.S. photos taken at Beja:
http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=167695

Confirms that Tiger 833 had later version front mudguards.

- john
http://www.LoneSentry.com/

10.08.2010 04:37 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Mario Lippert

Beja

07.09.2010 14:27 Mario Lippert ist offline Email an Mario Lippert senden Beiträge von Mario Lippert suchen Nehmen Sie Mario Lippert in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Great photo Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello Everyone
Nice new photo Mario. I notice a 501 tiger insignia on the front plate beside the jeep. It got me to thinking and I checked my books and photos I have of 501 tigers for tigers.
Could 2/501 be the only part of this unit to paint the insignia on their tigers. I Know panzer III ‘s had them painted on.
All I could find was 121 had a tiger and a name on the right side of the tank like 731 Norbert.
Which lead me to believe 121 and 731 might have been the same tank or at least its turret ended up on another hull.
But the side shot of 121 you cant quite make out the name. If it is Maus or Norbert.
I digress sorry, But the only tigers I seem to find the tiger painted on are. 833, 823,712, 241,243,231 which are all ex 2 company tanks and the front plate in the new photo.
Just another one of my theories, what do you guys think.
Also do we know any more signal corps numbers for this series of pics.
We have 175521 or 221 for the new pic 175564 and 176000 for this group of Tigers and 175517-175519 for the three by the railroad (823,833,and 111).
Allen

07.09.2010 23:30 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

RE: Great photo Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Allen Dail
Hello Everyone
Nice new photo Mario. I notice a 501 tiger insignia on the front plate beside the jeep. It got me to thinking and I checked my books and photos I have of 501 tigers for tigers.
Could 2/501 be the only part of this unit to paint the insignia on their tigers. I Know panzer III ‘s had them painted on.
All I could find was 121 had a tiger and a name on the right side of the tank like 731 Norbert.
Which lead me to believe 121 and 731 might have been the same tank or at least its turret ended up on another hull.
But the side shot of 121 you cant quite make out the name. If it is Maus or Norbert.
I digress sorry, But the only tigers I seem to find the tiger painted on are. 833, 823,712, 241,243,231 which are all ex 2 company tanks and the front plate in the new photo.
Just another one of my theories, what do you guys think.
Also do we know any more signal corps numbers for this series of pics.
We have 175521 or 221 for the new pic 175564 and 176000 for this group of Tigers and 175517-175519 for the three by the railroad (823,833,and 111).
Allen

One of the staff Tigers had the unit insignia (stalking Tiger) on the same position. That Tiger is the only known not 2.Komp. tank with the insignia painted on the front plate.

08.09.2010 06:19 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Mario Lippert

Another one of the series,note the turret on the right.

08.09.2010 10:35 Mario Lippert ist offline Email an Mario Lippert senden Beiträge von Mario Lippert suchen Nehmen Sie Mario Lippert in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Seiten (13): « vorherige 1 2 [3] 4 5 nächste » ... letzte »  
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: