Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.501/424 » Colour of numbers Tigers from a sPzAbt.501 » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
Evgeniy Muzalkov
Expert

Colour of numbers Tigers from a sPzAbt.501(7 and 8 Kp/10.Panzer-Division) Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

I have paid attention that on color views (Jean Restayn and …) of Tigers from a sPzAbt.501 (7 and 8 Kp/10.Panzer-Division (Tunesien)), digits of numbers usually red colour. Probably, digits of numbers could be be dark green colour, similarly to the PanzerIII ¹832?

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Evgeniy Muzalkov am 15.08.2011 10:48.

15.08.2011 10:46 Evgeniy Muzalkov ist offline Email an Evgeniy Muzalkov senden Beiträge von Evgeniy Muzalkov suchen Nehmen Sie Evgeniy Muzalkov in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

I think you're correct, and these digits were black. This Pz.3 shows up the red colour of the tactical symbol, but there's not a hint of red in the digit;

In particular, look at the digits on "712". The markings were covered up during the American tests, but I think that was just mud. I think this postwar photo is the original finish. The tiger logo at A is the original.

The digit at B looks black to me.

On a related point, what colour were the digits of the 1st company? They consistently appear to be very similar in tone to the surrounding paint, but a little bit lighter. Could they be painted in the lighter of the two Tropen colours? Or could the stencil be in 2 parts, requiring the inside to be repainted over a white base?

The only counter-evidence that I know is this photo of 112, which may or may not be colorised;

The digit appears to be grey;

What do you think?

David

13.12.2012 14:24 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Evgeniy Muzalkov
Expert

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von David Byrden

The only counter-evidence that I know is this photo of 112, which may or may not be colorised;

The digit appears to be grey;

What do you think?

David

The unsuccessful photo, very badly it is visible.
To learn more (7 and 8 Kp/10.Panzer-Division) , it is possible to find photos of other AFV from 10.Panzer-Division (…5, 6 Kp’s) and to try to define at them color of digits of numbers.

14.12.2012 08:53 Evgeniy Muzalkov ist offline Email an Evgeniy Muzalkov senden Beiträge von Evgeniy Muzalkov suchen Nehmen Sie Evgeniy Muzalkov in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Has anybody got any new information on this topic?

This is a German-painted digit and it is black. I can't see red in it, though there is red elsewhere on the tank.
In addition, we have a colour photo of a Pz.3 numbered in the 800 sequence, also in black.

Is there any reason to think there were red digits used?

David

13.07.2014 00:13 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

We know that, with B/W photos, the colour red can be handled in unusual ways by certain types of old film. So we can't trust old B/W photos to give us a consistent grey level for red colours.

But look at this photo of Tiger 241;

The indicated item is the rhomboid panzer sign. There are Allied photos of this same hull, and it appears dark in those photos. Both colour photos posted earlier show this symbol in red within this battalion.

Here, it actually appears to be lighter than the background. And we can see the same effect in 3 photos on this same roll of film. The best explanation is that it's sensitive to red light.

The digits on the photo don't benefit from this sensitivity. The inference is that they are not red.

David

13.07.2014 20:28 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

What is your opinion on the original 1st Ko. colors?

I have always believed that this photograph shows the 1st Ko. tactical numbers were not white outlines, but had a solid fill color.

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von John Winwood am 20.07.2014 21:47.

20.07.2014 21:46 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Greg Del Nero
Mitglied

Hi John,

ECPA photos of Tiger 142 arriving in Tunis show a pristine fairly dust free Tiger. This photo absolutely shows that the interior color of the tactical number is lighter than the rest of the main body of the Tiger. One theory is that the interior of the number is the "original" color, RAL 8000 and that the rest of the tank has been over sprayed with grey-green RAL 7008. It seems like a plausible theory, but it must have been a pain in the ass to maintain or repaint the white tactical number outline. The 142 tunis photos are the only photos that support this complete over spray in my opinion. In other words, not all 501 Tigers were painted this way. 142 also had some very dark painted areas as shown in the ferry photos. The back of the turret bin for example. Definitely not RAL 8000 (or 7028 ...whatever it was.)

Greg

21.07.2014 05:31 Greg Del Nero ist offline Email an Greg Del Nero senden Beiträge von Greg Del Nero suchen Nehmen Sie Greg Del Nero in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:

it must have been a pain in the ass to maintain or repaint the white tactical number outline.
Greg

Yeah, they missed a bit.

I think the Tigers were delivered in Brown 8000, then hastily painted Green 7008 as Greg said. The insides of some or all digits in the 1st company remained Brown.

This seems like a dark colour painted over a light one. With some items not painted at all, notably the turret bin.

David

21.07.2014 11:20 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitat:
Original von Hartmut von Holdt
The photo of Tiger 731 shows us clearly that the number wasn´t black.

We still see the top of the black letters of "Norbert" shining through the seven. That would be impossible if the seven was painted in black because nothing can be seen under black. And of course black can´t shine through black.

Die schwarzen Buchstaben von "Norbert" scheinen teilweise durch die Farbe der neu aufgebrachten Nummer. Dies ist bei Schwarz unmöglich, da es alles überdeckt. Es wäre ebenfalls unmöglich, dass Schwarz durch Schwarz scheint. Die Turmnummer muss also eine andere Farbe gewesen sein.

So it seems the 1.Kompanie used indeed red numbers.

1.Kompanie red numbers
2.Kompanie black numbers

21.07.2014 11:45 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

"I think the Tigers were delivered in Brown 8000, then hastily painted Green 7008 as Greg said."

A unlogical myth wich will stay for ever..........

Zitat:

21.07.2014 11:58 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
1.Kompanie red numbers
2.Kompanie black numbers

But the photo shows "731" of the 7th company.
Are you saying that "731" had the same colour as "131"?

I thought that we could be absolutely sure of one thing; the 7th company digits were NOT the same colour as the 1st company...

David

21.07.2014 12:21 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitat:
Zitat:
1.Kompanie red numbers
2.Kompanie black numbers

But the photo shows "731" of the 7th company.
Are you saying that "731" had the same colour as "131"?

I thought that we could be absolutely sure of one thing; the 7th company digits were NOT the same colour as the 1st company...

David

I don´t understand. The 1.Kompanie and the 7.Kompanie was the same. Tiger 731 was Tiger 131 before.

From the top of my had it was only Tiger 712 who had black numbers because he was from 2.Kompanie as 212/812 or something.

Why should the 7th change their turret number colour from red to black?

21.07.2014 14:18 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Greg Del Nero
Mitglied

Hello Hartmut,

Your quote " An unlogical myth wich will stay forever"

A brief response about the tactical numbers and the main Tiger paint colors.

Don't forget that the Tiger's tactical number were not repainted until integration into 10 P.D. Then they were re painted black ( as color photos suggest - Aberdeen capture photo ) Sure, it can be argued red or black numbers from black and white photos. 7th vs. 8th Kompanie. My comments were for 1.Kompanie Tigers, specifically 142 prior to 10 P.D. :-)

To take the conversation further to include other Tigers and not just 142...In my opinion photos suggest a darker color for the main body in some cases. Either the entire body of the Tiger OR perhaps subtle striping. In my opinion it is RAL 7008.

Why?

1. I spoke to the late Tom Jentz about this. He is the only person I know that ever took paint scrapings from a Tunisian Tiger. What did he find? RAL 7008 on areas of the tank. Bovington Tiger.

2. In fact this applies to SOME pz.Kpfw. 111 from s.pz.Abt. 501 also. I have photos of pristine, new, never seen combat pz.111 on a ferry bound for Tunisia with a striped overspray clearly visible from the main tank body color.

Of course this topic has been debated endlessly and will stir passionate debate. Everyone can have their own opinion.

Best regards,
Greg

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 4 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Greg Del Nero am 21.07.2014 15:35.

21.07.2014 15:21 Greg Del Nero ist offline Email an Greg Del Nero senden Beiträge von Greg Del Nero suchen Nehmen Sie Greg Del Nero in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
From the top of my had it was only Tiger 712 who had black numbers because he was from 2.Kompanie as 212/812 or something.

It seems to me that, when the 7th company numbers were applied, all digits were painted in a dark colour, even the pre-existing digits from the 1st company.

Zitat:

Why should the 7th change their turret number colour from red to black?

I think they changed it from empty to black. That is a bigger change.

David

21.07.2014 15:49 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
We still see the top of the black letters of "Norbert" shining through the seven. That would be impossible if the seven was painted in black because nothing can be seen under black. And of course black can´t shine through black.

But I don't think those digits are pure black. I think the paint was thin and it resulted in some transparency...

David

21.07.2014 22:01 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Zitat:
Original von John Winwood
What is your opinion on the original 1st Ko. colors?

I have always believed that this photograph shows the 1st Ko. tactical numbers were not white outlines, but had a solid fill color.

And don't the dark marks around the mounting bolts mean the Tiger was painted before the bolds were welded on?

22.07.2014 00:22 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
don't the dark marks around the mounting bolts mean the Tiger was painted before the bolds were welded on?

Painted and marked with crosses, at least, before the side skirt mounting points were welded on.

I believe this one is being delivered in Brown;

Markings and numbers were applied over that, followed by Green paint, followed by the side skirts.

David

22.07.2014 01:19 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitat:
Zitat:
don't the dark marks around the mounting bolts mean the Tiger was painted before the bolds were welded on?

Markings and numbers were applied over that, followed by Green paint, followed by the side skirts.

David

And finally they paint all the welding point in dark yellow as the third cammo paint. Germans were brilliant when it came to organization of painting the cammo their tanks......

22.07.2014 07:34 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
And finally they paint all the welding point in dark yellow

That is the same material as on "142". It happens to be highly reflective. Look at where the light is...the tank is under trees with an open space to the left.

I think that the exhaust shields and Feifels on this tank are Brown.

David

22.07.2014 07:46 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

The colour on the welding points on 142 is burned off but not painted over.

22.07.2014 07:49 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Yes, but I don't believe that 122's welded areas are painted over. I believe they are exactly the same as 142.... they consist of material outgassed from the welding process.
I believe this material is reflective, so it can appear light or dark depending on the light. Of course, the tank must be new and clean for the reflective effect to happen.

David

22.07.2014 08:03 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Sorry David, thats way off of my technical understanding.

If a welder from Instandsetzung weld fixing points over a allready painted steel part, than his next step is for sure to paint these welded areas over to keep them from rust. That touches the essentials of his workmanship.

However the welder on 142 was not the same as on the other tanks and he found a minimal decision and painted only the complete burned off areas and obvisionly he had the original basecoat paint RAL 8000 on hand. He painted not the black from welding areas where the colour in the sense of rust protection was still intact. Thats why we see the black burned areas around the welding points on 142.

On the other tanks the same work was made in a slightly different way because that welder painted the complete area around the welding points in fresh colour so that there was no black traces from welding left. But he had not the original base coat colour on hand an he made it with dark yellow paint.

This whole story of repainting the Tigers in green is so useless. Look at the photo of 142:

What else do we need to come to correct conclusions? There is no better prove as those serie of pics from Life Time Magazin.

If you repaint a tank you will never ever repaint the parts wich are behind the running gear, you would not repaint the running gear at all.

What we see here is a Tiger in its original base coat of RAL 8000 all over the tank. No area in a different colour.

If you repaint a tank you, or at least we Germans, would use a spray gun.
That story of leaving the turret number in base colour is so absurd. Nobody would try that very complicating way to do the job, everyone would spray the whole tank and paint new numbers after that. We should think futher sometimes of what make technical sense and what not.

Here are the traps for people who try to judge only in one direction but without overview. Looking at a B/W pic of a 1.Coy 501 Tiger and seeing a slidely difference in the colour inside number and colour outside number, just to doing the conclusion that the whole tank(every part outside) was repainted but they leave the inside of numbers in the original colour.................what can I say?

I not meant you of course David, but people who came up at the beginning of this myth.

22.07.2014 10:55 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
What we see here is a Tiger in its original base coat of RAL 8000 all over the tank. No area in a different colour.

And what do you see here?

(image enhanced)

David

22.07.2014 17:56 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitat:
Zitat:

And what do you see here?

(image enhanced)

David

I see a Tiger in its original base colour of RAL 8000. He had a turret number just in white outlines(or by chance filled in light red).
All repairs that were done on this tank are overpainted in dark yellow. Good example is the area where the turret bin in dark yellow was fixed/welded on with the holders and the burned off base colour was repaired with dark yellow.

But 121 is special and i would go futher and say he burned heavy around the engine compartement from a hit or technical problem. I think Tiger 121 was repainted with dark yellow in a big area around the whole engine deck.

The same happend to Tiger 112 but he burned heavely on the front and we can see there big areas in dark yellow repair paint. Also on his big plugs of metal wich were welded around the tank on every hole.

22.07.2014 18:15 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Are you saying that the repairs on "122", seen here, plus the components that were added after delivery (Feifels, exhaust shields) are all in Dunkelgelb?

Because I believe they were added in 1942...

And in the photo of "142", is that Feifel in Dunkelgelb?

David

22.07.2014 19:39 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I am convinced that Dunkelgelb was used earlier than 1943.

I thought we all came to the conclusion that the Feifels on Tiger 142 were dark grey?

22.07.2014 21:08 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Here is my proposal. Please don't react violently;

And now, to put the cat among the pigeons;

David

23.07.2014 12:52 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Some comparesion

Ral 8000 is in words a green/brown. Depent on the light it could look greenish or it could look brown.

I thought sometimes that the 501 Tigers in Africa had a green cammo on a brown base. But in the last years I came to the result that those Tigers were painted just in RAL 8000 and no further cammo was aplied.

Some think they see green cammo patches on some Tigers, also on the life pics. But I think that is not the case and fact is that all the variation that RAL 8000 green/brown made after some time of use is that the colour looks different in some areas. On some areas more green and on some more brown.

23.07.2014 13:40 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Jose Miguel

what if? Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

According to Peter Gudgin (who was there and took notes) tanks from 1kp and 2kp had different camo colors, Wolfgang Schneider SOME 1kp/sPzAbt 501SOME were repainted in Italy before board to Tunis.
Well, some tanks have stalking tiger logo, some have overpainted welding points, some have writting names...
We link these facts, to see the possibility that those few Tigers that were repainted Tigers in Italy do not shown shiny welding points, do not shown camo pattern, do not shown written names and finally do not shown stalking tiger logos...However it seems that the rest of Tigers that were not repainted in Italy show shiny welding points, written names and stalking tiger logos.
I have always believed that all sPzAbt 501 tanks had the stalking tigers logo originally, no matter if 1kp or 2kp.
Hope it helps

27.05.2018 09:24 Jose Miguel ist offline Email an Jose Miguel senden Homepage von Jose Miguel Beiträge von Jose Miguel suchen Nehmen Sie Jose Miguel in Ihre Freundesliste auf AIM Screenname: Jose YIM Screenname: Jose
David Byrden

Why do you think that they all had tiger logos? Is there any photograph to support this?

David

27.05.2018 10:11 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Jose Miguel

unfortunately no photos... Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Unfortunately I do not have photos, it was just a hypothesis, trying to explain why not all tanks showed the logo of the battalion...
Here is, in my opinion, the best example we have of both tropical camos, look for both trucks, one is RAL 8000/7008 and the other is RAL 8020/7027.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/235801-2/life_43

Would you say that any of them is green? No

Anyway, the more I see the life magazine color photos, the more I see ral 7008 as green the base color.

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 2 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Jose Miguel am 27.05.2018 10:54.

27.05.2018 10:51 Jose Miguel ist offline Email an Jose Miguel senden Homepage von Jose Miguel Beiträge von Jose Miguel suchen Nehmen Sie Jose Miguel in Ihre Freundesliste auf AIM Screenname: Jose YIM Screenname: Jose

Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: