Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.504 » Ergänzung zur Gallerie Tunisia 1943 » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Seiten (2): [1] 2 nächste » Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Ergänzung zur Gallerie Abteilung 504 in Tunesien Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

111 ?

Three pics of a Tiger on the roadside currently on E-bay.de

Link: http://shop.ebay.de/merchant/kotstau2007

Chris.

Edit: Change of thread title to align to gallery title

28.08.2008 12:48 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

2 more Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

111 ? again

131 in Tunis

Same seller same link.

Chris

29.08.2008 12:52 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Greg Del Nero
Mitglied

Why 111? Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi Chris

I am very curious about why you think the tactical number for this wreck might be 111. I have eight photos of this wreck from all angles. I have not been able to identify a tactical number on the turret sides or the rear storage bin. The numbers are simply not visible.
What evidence in your opinion points to 111?

Keep up the great work!!

Greg

10.09.2008 06:00 Greg Del Nero ist offline Email an Greg Del Nero senden Beiträge von Greg Del Nero suchen Nehmen Sie Greg Del Nero in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Why 111? - Flawed Logic Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi Greg,

The suggestion was a bit tongue-in-cheek. This being a frequently photographed Tiger I was hoping that someone had further pics to help prove/disprove the suggestion.

The logic behind #111 went like this...

Possible turret numbers are:
01, 02
100 (see note)
111, 112
121, 122
131, 132
141, 142.
Note: My spreadsheet had a cut and paste error with 100 only appearing, alongside 101, in 1944.

The mantlet eliminates 142 and 131.

It is not a Befehls Tiger (01 or 02) and a 1.Kp rhomboid is seen on the forward hull side, so we can assume that the first digit is a #1.

Traces of numbers are suggested in some of the photo's of this Tiger.

Having eliminated the possibility of a #0 being present, this pic of the left side suggests that the third digit is a #1, which would give #1X1.

Again with the possibility of a #0 being eliminated, there are 3 vertical lines suggested here on the right side of the turret, making #111 a possibility, though the position is further back on the turret than might be expected.

In this pic though, the second digit appears to have a round top, suggesting #12X.

I think we can safely say that #111 is unlikely to be correct.

Any thoughts?

Chris.

10.09.2008 13:28 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Greg Del Nero
Mitglied

How about this photo Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi Chris

We only have photographic proof of two 1.kompanie schwere Panzer-Abteilung 504 Tigers having tactical numbers. Tigers 142 and 131. I went through my photos of this wreck and this is the only one that may help us.

I have been trying to identify this Tiger's number for a long time. When I found this photo I was excited. I felt it at least showed possible evidence of a number. There seems to be three dark lines contrasting with the turret color. Keep in mind that the tank is smoke and fire damaged. Is it a number? Maybe I am seeing what I want to see :-) If we assume that it is a tactical number, then it's position is atypical when compared to Tigers 142 and 131. It is positioned more towards the escape hatch. It's not centered. It's also positioned higher on the turret than 142 and 131. I also think that the middle "number" is a one. If I had to guess, this would be Tiger 111. But guessing is not proof!

What do you think?
Greg

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 4 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Greg Del Nero am 11.09.2008 06:55.

11.09.2008 02:49 Greg Del Nero ist offline Email an Greg Del Nero senden Beiträge von Greg Del Nero suchen Nehmen Sie Greg Del Nero in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Re: This Photo Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Greg,

Thanks for sharing another top photo from your collection.

This marking is intriguing.

It seems too regular to be the result of fire damage.

The Tiger has been moved from the position seen in earlier photo's and the skirts removed, suggesting a time lapse during which Allied troops may have 'enhanced' it's appearance. Having said which, the markings appear too regular for graffiti.

The figures appear to consist of a dark outline with a lighter filler, consistent with German practice but not known on 504's Tigers at this time.

As you say it is not consistent with the pattern seen on #131 or #142, but I think this is the turret number.

The position of the marking whilst inconsistent with #131 and #142 does appear consistent with this Tiger which probably belonged to 504 too.

You suggest that the middle digit may be a '1'. In this extract A, B and C represent the three digits. If 'A' is a '1', 'B' does not appear exactly parallel with it so may not be a '1'.

#111 remains a possibility but the jury is still out for now.

Chris.

11.09.2008 11:00 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zwei Tiger aus Tunesien

07.04.2009 14:15 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Mario Lippert

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Tiger 111

15.07.2009 23:11 Mario Lippert ist offline Email an Mario Lippert senden Beiträge von Mario Lippert suchen Nehmen Sie Mario Lippert in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Greg Del Nero
Mitglied

Fantastic photo!! Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hallo Mario!!

Das ist ein fantastisches Foto. Vielen Dank dafür, um uns es sehen zu lassen. Ich bin eifersüchtig dieser ist nicht in meiner Sammlung!! Das ist nur der dritte 1. Kompanie schwere Panzer-Abteilung 504 Tiger, wo wir die turmnummer sehen können. Ich fiel fast aus meinem Stuhl, als ich es sah. Ich bezweifle, dass mein Tiger-Foto derselbe Tiger ist, jetzt wo ich Ihr Foto sehe. Die turmnummer scheint in einem atypischen positon in meinem Foto zu sein.

Chris, what do you think? Mario's incredible photo shows Tiger 111's tactical number in a typical position compared to Tiger 131 for example. The "number" on my wreck photo is higher than the typical postion. I doubt this is the same Tiger.

Greg

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Greg Del Nero am 24.07.2009 15:25.

24.07.2009 15:24 Greg Del Nero ist offline Email an Greg Del Nero senden Beiträge von Greg Del Nero suchen Nehmen Sie Greg Del Nero in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Hi Greg,

I agree, this #111 is not your Tiger.

Earlier this week I came across another picture of your Tiger which shows the turret number. I have contacted the owner who has agreed to scan a better copy and for it to be posted on TIIF.

Hopefully I'll be in a position to post this weekend.

Chris.

p.s. it's #121

24.07.2009 15:45 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Mario Lippert

Chris,
the wreck is "121"?

25.07.2009 15:02 Mario Lippert ist offline Email an Mario Lippert senden Beiträge von Mario Lippert suchen Nehmen Sie Mario Lippert in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Hi Mario,

yes the wreck is #121.

I am waiting for the owner to forward a better copy before I post the picture and gallery image.

In the meantime, you can see the picture on the link, the second and third digits are recognisable. I have mailed the owner who has confirmed the number..

"Hi Chris, just had a look at my photograph under a microscope and can confirm that the number on the turret of the Tiger is 121, you can see it very clearly. I hope I have been of some help to you."

Link:
http://www.eightharmy.co.uk/7rtr.htm

Chris.

25.07.2009 15:35 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Excellent find... Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Nice discovery. It does indeed look like #121.

26.07.2009 06:28 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

132 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

This pic I posted as a possible 2.Kp Tiger in the Sicily thread.

Federico Peyrani has suggested it is actually a 1.Kp Tiger and this pic he has provided seems to confirm the suggestion.

#132 I believe.

Gallery Size:

Chris.

01.08.2009 22:10 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

#121 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Full Size:

Close Up:

Many thanks to Kieron Hill, webmaster of www.eightharmy.co.uk for his assistance and permission to post this image.

Gallery Size:

Chris

03.08.2009 10:37 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Greg Del Nero
Mitglied

Wow!! Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi Chris

This is the photo I have been waiting for. It must have been taken earlier than all of the known pics of this wreck, as dirt and dust on the turret seem minimal and we can see the tactical number. Thanks for posting it and thanks to the original source. I finally have confirmation. Hey, we were only off by one little number. Two out of three isn't bad.....haha.
Greg

19.08.2009 02:08 Greg Del Nero ist offline Email an Greg Del Nero senden Beiträge von Greg Del Nero suchen Nehmen Sie Greg Del Nero in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

101 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

3 pics posted with the kind permission of Ground Warfare Through the Lens.

Looks like Fallingbostel in early 1943 prior to transport to Italy at the end of February.

Turret #101 is not included in the establishment given in Schneider's 'Tigers in Combat I'.

Gallery Size:

Links:
http://ground.warfarethroughthelens.org/.../r00488-07/view
http://ground.warfarethroughthelens.org/.../r00488-08/view
http://ground.warfarethroughthelens.org/.../r00488-10/view
You will need to register / login.

Chris.

24.08.2009 14:38 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

121 Again Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Posted on Missing Links by John Stevens

Link:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/mes...From+eBay+album

Gallery Size:

Chris.

13.11.2009 00:43 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

121 Again Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Two new views currently on ebay.com

Links:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MC16-DESTROYED-TIGER...=item335c901c56
http://cgi.ebay.com/MC15-DESTROYED-TIGER...=item335c901c48

Chris

29.04.2010 12:20 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Rob Fraser
Gast

131 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

3 pics of 131 from the UK P.R.O.
Via James Blackwell

10.08.2010 04:35
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Stills from an inspection of #121 by Churchill.

Link:
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/656750...dge_German-tank

Chris.

07.10.2010 22:03 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Phil Appleyard
Mitglied

Tiger 131 Chertsey Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello all! I have not come across this image yet in the 's.Pz.Abt.504 Tunisia 1943' gallery, nice portrait of '131' whilst under evaluation at Chobham Lane U.K.

No attribution to the image, but I expect it to be IWM

Cheers Phil.

03.12.2010 18:49 Phil Appleyard ist offline Email an Phil Appleyard senden Beiträge von Phil Appleyard suchen Nehmen Sie Phil Appleyard in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

504? Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Cropped photo of captured vehicles arriving in USA, captioned as July 1943. The hull is not an initial and seems to lack track holder brackets on the driver's plate, so is presumably 504 rather than 501. The stencilling does not match that seen on #712. Does anyone know of another Tiger which crossed the pond?

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-Press-PHOTO-Germ...=item3cb690d250

Chris.

31.03.2011 13:14 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

712 of 501 arriving in US Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hello Chris this is 712 of 501 arriving in the U.S.
I found this pic on some website years ago and misplaced the link. But they shipped the hull and turret separte for some reason.
Hope it helps and nice find . This photo is a lot better than the one I found on the web.
Allen

31.03.2011 17:15 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Thanks Allen, so much for thinking this wasn't 712!

Chris.

31.03.2011 23:16 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Yann JOUAULT
Researcher

New photo of 121 it seems... :

http://www.tonelliauction.com/detail.asp...08&bigpic=0#img

10.05.2011 22:00 Yann JOUAULT ist offline Email an Yann JOUAULT senden Beiträge von Yann JOUAULT suchen Nehmen Sie Yann JOUAULT in Ihre Freundesliste auf AIM Screenname: 101yann YIM Screenname: 101yann
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

New to the gallery from ebay.com.

Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WWII-Ph...=item4cff59e079

No connection with the seller.

Chris

14.03.2012 12:21 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Rob Fraser
Researcher

121 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Slightly different to the gallery and good res

Here
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-schwerer-Deu...=item43ae4429b5

03.04.2012 13:01 Rob Fraser ist offline Email an Rob Fraser senden Beiträge von Rob Fraser suchen Nehmen Sie Rob Fraser in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Report of June 1943 about losses in Tunisia Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hallo I am taking this picture here from the thread of Abteilung 501 this picture...

The report is from 28.6.1943:

It looks like if the Germans were wrong!
As fas as i Know Stab (and part of Werkstatt) was lost in Tunisia!!

What do you think about it?

And also, what do you think about the numbers under 2. Kp? (14/100/474)

Can it be 14 Tigers?
Or maybe better:
14 Offz.
100 Uffz.
474 Mann.

Regards

Federico

22.05.2012 00:27 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Tiger in Tow Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

http://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record...40&media_id=402

Near the end of the video around 13:30.

02.08.2012 23:48 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Another nice find John.

From this cobbled together grab, damage to the bin is consistent with '131'.

Many thanks for sharing.

Chris.

03.08.2012 01:32 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

RE: Tiger in Tow Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von John Winwood
http://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record...40&media_id=402

Near the end of the video around 13:30.

These grabs come from towards the end of John's link, starting around 12:26. The summary says "armour plates with German Cross and shell holes", anyone fancy they show a Tiger being used for target practice?

Chris

05.08.2012 00:15 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Robert Kraska
Expert

121 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

28.08.2012 22:33 Robert Kraska ist offline Email an Robert Kraska senden Beiträge von Robert Kraska suchen Nehmen Sie Robert Kraska in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Robert,

thank you for sharing a colour photo of our old favourite #121. Gallery updated.

Chris.

29.08.2012 00:02 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

18.05.2013 18:41 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

132 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Match to the gallery photos of the wreck of '132'. From the Facebook link by David on the 501/Tunisia thread.

Chris

13.06.2013 21:57 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

121 yet again from recent ebay auction.

Chris

13.11.2013 16:50 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Frederico has reminded me that this photo of '121' is not in the gallery.

Link to the Australian War Memorial collection:
https://www.awm.gov.au/research/

Chris.

26.02.2014 11:16 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winwood
Researcher

Another view of 121 I didn't see posted yet.
http://www.152hyderabad.co.uk/html/body_..._1942-1946.html
http://www.152hyderabad.co.uk/assets/ima...tunis_Small.jpg

03.03.2014 05:32 John Winwood ist offline Email an John Winwood senden Homepage von John Winwood Beiträge von John Winwood suchen Nehmen Sie John Winwood in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Nice find John. Added to gallery.

Chris

03.03.2014 10:32 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Seiten (2): [1] 2 nächste »  
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: