Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.502/511 » Carius 217 question » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
Gabriele Longoni
Mitglied

Carius 217 question Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi all,
I'm doing some research about this tank that Otto Carius commanded during his Malinava raid. Could anyone help me with some additional info?
All the websites I found tell for sure that he had Tiger number 217 but what is the source where this info could be find? Why everybody is so sure about it? I checked Tigers in Combat I and II but there is no mention about Carius' tank number. It is also known that the tank was a Mid-production Tiger painted in dark yellow overall with white numbers. But are we sure enough about it? Are there any pictures of tanks of same Company such as 216 or 218?
Many thanks in advance for any help,
Gabriele

22.07.2011 13:13 Gabriele Longoni ist offline Email an Gabriele Longoni senden Beiträge von Gabriele Longoni suchen Nehmen Sie Gabriele Longoni in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

If you do research on Otto Carius then you should get his book..."Tiger in the mud". It was himself who told he was commander of 217.

His Tiger overall dark yellow only? well, who will know because the only two pics we know so far shows Tiger 217 in winter cammo.

22.07.2011 14:03 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Gabriele Longoni
Mitglied

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Thanks Hartmut,
I am finishing to read the book, some 20 pages remaining until the end and so far did not read about 217 being his tank...
Thanks for the advice anyway!

22.07.2011 14:17 Gabriele Longoni ist offline Email an Gabriele Longoni senden Beiträge von Gabriele Longoni suchen Nehmen Sie Gabriele Longoni in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winner
Expert

There are photos of 2.Kp. and his tank 217 in this gallery: http://www.tiif.de/thread.php?threadid=114&sid=

22.07.2011 14:48 John Winner ist offline Email an John Winner senden Beiträge von John Winner suchen Nehmen Sie John Winner in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Gabriele Longoni
Mitglied

Thanks John, already saw these Augenzwinkern

22.07.2011 16:15 Gabriele Longoni ist offline Email an Gabriele Longoni senden Beiträge von Gabriele Longoni suchen Nehmen Sie Gabriele Longoni in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winner
Expert

In writing captions for my project I have been looking at the 2 photos of 217 and I don't think Otto Carius is commanding it in those pictures. He is very distinct looking and I just don't think it looks like him. What do you all think?

26.07.2011 06:07 John Winner ist offline Email an John Winner senden Beiträge von John Winner suchen Nehmen Sie John Winner in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Gabriele Longoni
Mitglied

The tank is in winter camouflage so the pictures were taken during autumn/winter 1944/45 when Carius was in hospital and convalescence so the commander in those 217 images is not him.

26.07.2011 11:09 Gabriele Longoni ist offline Email an Gabriele Longoni senden Beiträge von Gabriele Longoni suchen Nehmen Sie Gabriele Longoni in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winner
Expert

I know that Bundesarchiv captions are not always correct, the photo is labeled as produced Anfang (early) 1944. Could it be that these were taken during winter 1943/44.

I am not sure on when Carius became commander of 217. Does anybody know? Perhaps this is the previous commander

26.07.2011 11:36 John Winner ist offline Email an John Winner senden Beiträge von John Winner suchen Nehmen Sie John Winner in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Gabriele Longoni
Mitglied

I just finished reading "Tigers in the mud" and although Carius do not mention his tank numbers I managed to understand that he kept 213 at least until April 20 1944 when, during "Operation Strachwitz III" his tanks cupola was shot off. They had to abandon it beacuse of too bad damage. He got another tank then so perhaps that's the point when he took a mid-productionTiger. Probably it kept 213 number or it was re-numbered 217.

26.07.2011 11:51 Gabriele Longoni ist offline Email an Gabriele Longoni senden Beiträge von Gabriele Longoni suchen Nehmen Sie Gabriele Longoni in Ihre Freundesliste auf
John Winner
Expert

Ok, thank you. I just started reading TIgers in the Mud and am only about 30 pages into it. Guess I could have waited and then I could have answered my own question.

26.07.2011 19:19 John Winner ist offline Email an John Winner senden Beiträge von John Winner suchen Nehmen Sie John Winner in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Jim Snyder

Gabriele, I want to direct you to "Panzerkampfgruppe Strachwitz" by Michael H. Pruett which describes the Tiger 217 as the replacement tank for Otto's 213. It also describes the loss of 213 and lists 217 as a member of the company before the loss of 213.

Zitat:
Original von Gabriele Longoni
I just finished reading "Tigers in the mud" and although Carius do not mention his tank numbers I managed to understand that he kept 213 at least until April 20 1944 when, during "Operation Strachwitz III" his tanks cupola was shot off. They had to abandon it beacuse of too bad damage. He got another tank then so perhaps that's the point when he took a mid-productionTiger. Probably it kept 213 number or it was re-numbered 217.

20.10.2012 14:22 Jim Snyder ist offline Email an Jim Snyder senden Beiträge von Jim Snyder suchen Nehmen Sie Jim Snyder in Ihre Freundesliste auf

Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: