Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.508 » Photo locations » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
David Byrden

Photo locations Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

The slanting tree was cut down only two years ago.

The address is actually not Littoria, but 8km away in Latina Scalo.

David

10.08.2016 01:26 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

This one was rather difficult to pin down. And why do the vehicles appear to be in a river bed or ravine, anyway?

The hills on the horizon are near Aprilia, and we can see Lanuvio in front of them. Using parallax, and then using photographs of these hills courtesy of Google Street View, we find ourselves at a quarry on the outskirts of Aprilia. The Via Isarco runs through the quarry, answering our question.

Although quarrying has changed the shape of the landscape in modern times, and the road itself is moved, we can use photos from 2002 to find the old road and the olive groves behind the Tiger - identified by the direction of the lines of trees in them. And using parallax again, we find that there is only one possible place on the old road where this Tiger could be.

David

12.08.2016 23:31 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

So I finally got around to this one. It was a pleasant search, no false leads.

It's at 42°27'36.75"N 12° 4'31.88"E

David

19.06.2017 19:44 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

We've always listed this one as being near Poggibonsi.

I don't know the source of this information, but it's repeated online that we're at Highway 6 near Poggibonsi, 20 miles south of Florence.

This is slightly problematic.

The nearest "Highway 6" to Poggibonsi is 22km away. Granted, soldiers are not exact when they note the location of a photo, but this particular highway leads into Siena and it's odd that anybody would associate it with Poggibonsi.

(Modern Italian highways retain their WW2 numbers.)

Another problem is that I simply cannot find a spot in Highway 6 that closely resembles the photos.

I also searched other roads close to Poggibonsi. I found three locations that looked similar to this, but none of them had a roadside ditch, and this Tiger is clearly sitting in a ditch.

But the biggest problem with the Poggibonsi location is a photo of this Tiger that we noticed on Ebay two years ago. This was written on the back;

In no way can Highway 6 be described as the "road to Rome". It is 200 kilometers north of Rome.

I think this location is invalid.

David

31.05.2018 00:18 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

A person named Marco Marzilli posted different information for this Tiger. I am currently asking him where his data comes from.

He said it was "on the road between Cori and Giulianello"

Looking at the various photos of this Tiger, it is not an easy one to locate. There are just a few features; the road; the shadows which tell us we're looking approximately north; a ridge of slightly high ground to the right of the road, not very far off; and a peculiar mound on the right side of the road almost immediately behind the tank. There is also a suggestion that the road bears to the right, curving around the big ridge. And finally, the Tiger is in a substantial ditch.

I have exhaustively searched the Cori-Giulanello road and there is exactly one spot that could be this. It has a ridge and a mound. The Google camera unfortunately doesn't hit the exact spot;

The mound is in fact the spoil resulting from the creation of a drainage tunnel under the road. After scanning roads here and at Poggibonsi, I can tell you this is a very unusual feature.

If this is the correct road, then this is the correct spot.

David

31.05.2018 00:27 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Thanks David,

If this is the road between Cori and Giulianello you have confirmed another of the few late production models operating South of Rome.

Chris

31.05.2018 21:21 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This photo is not in the gallery.

David

01.06.2018 14:15 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

This one could not be located from Street View photos because the roads are built up now.

But Google Earth's terrain model is pretty good (except for altitude), and when you add the hilltop houses onto the terrain model, it all lines up.

The Tiger's location is marked by this forecourt sign on route SS207.

We're north of Aprilia and the nearest settlement is called Fontana di Papa.

David

02.06.2018 01:42 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Thanks once again, gallery updated.

02.06.2018 23:35 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

I can confirm that this one is truly in the village of La Romola.

Its location for this photo is exactly 43°41'43.30"N 11° 9'29.53"E

David

03.06.2018 02:18 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

As Chris proposed long ago, this Tiger is by a railway station near Cisterna. A privately held aerial photo confirms the location.

The closest place name is Paoil.

Given that it's by the railway line, and apparently knocked out, and far from a road (therefore not demolished), I think it to be Nagel's Tiger lost on 23 May.

David

10.06.2018 01:27 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
Original von David Byrden

I think it to be Nagel's Tiger lost on 23 May.

Well, Chris proved me wrong on that idea. Unpublished photos show another Tiger destroyed nearby. So I went looking again.

My problem was the railway station in the photo. It has disappeared from the earth without trace. So I ended up at the most similar surviving station instead. I didn't expect two battles near a railway line.

Now, the other photos show the hills behind Velletri, which told me the approximate area to look in; and they show electricity pylons which still exist. Using a few other cues I found a spot which I am 100% sure of.

The battle must be 29 February 1944, when 4 Tigers were lost.

Here's my map of the attack on the Anzio bridgehead.

David

14.06.2018 15:12 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

I believe this one is at 41°39'19.34"N 12°53'40.06"E

In other words, it's just a kilometer out of Cori heading north.

What do you think?

David

15.06.2018 02:30 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

The hills behind are a good match.

So it's not 3SS in Poland as Trojca would have us believe in 'Tiger 3' Augenzwinkern

Chris

15.06.2018 09:07 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
Original von Chris Brown
The hills behind are a good match.

Frustratingly, not a perfect match. But that's the only possible match on the Cori-Artema route.

David

15.06.2018 12:38 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf

Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: