Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.504 » Ergänzung zur Gallerie Sicily 1943 » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Seiten (2): « vorherige 1 [2] Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Super photos. I have added them to the gallery and made these matches to '232' from the unknowns .

Chris.

26.03.2014 21:38 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Very good pictures Chris and Hartmut!

I think the Tiger with the blown away turret is a completely new one!

About 232, my papers say it should have been the mount of Fw. Fritz Wagner. As he was later active in the Gerbini area, the crew must have left the tank and rejoined friendly lines. Anyway the US paratroopers around the tank put this image in the Gela area, in the Piano Lupo-Acate-Biazzo Ridge area.

Regards
Federico

29.03.2014 22:52 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

The Tiger with the blown off turret is indeed very interesting. He is one of the new deliveries for 504 and it is in question where these Tigers had the turret number and what size and colour.

He show the 2.Komp. rune in the back left side and the logical opponent is that he had the second rune on the lhs front plate under the glacis. Hard to understand the system of markings in 504.

29.03.2014 23:28 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Hi Hartmut!

I just bought a big size picture of the turretless Tiger and discovered two interesting things:

1) Guess what? The number near the rune is not a 2, it is a clear 3!
I just guess that it was one of the latest arrivals, a former 3./504 Tiger in Germany, that was sent to Italy to be ferried in Tunisia. As you know, some time later 3./504 became one of GD's Tiger Kompanies...

2) Just next to the left pistol port there is something that looks like a penetration. Veterans say that Hummel was wounded at the knee by a penetration near the "escape hatch" (I have to check the real german word). Also it looks to have been sabotaged by the crew, so this is maybe his tank. It was sabotaged by Lt. Golschmidt in the morning of July 12th, 1943, because he had to attack to Piano Lupo (the Gela-Niscemi crossroads), and he was not able to repair the damaged track in time.

But that's just a guess... I am waiting for an answer from Fox Company, to know if there are captions or something else written in the back of the picture.

Regards
Federico

30.03.2014 01:15 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Thanks Federico, the '3' is an unexpected development. I have updated the gallery introduction with the information.

Chris.

30.03.2014 11:17 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

2./504 had overstrength in June 43 with 17 Tigers. It seems they are not pumped up the 2.Kompanie but obvisionly started to build a 3.Kompanie.

Still in question for me if they ever had Befehlswagen in Abteilung 504 in Tunisia or Sizily. So it could be possible that most of the last deliveries from June were signed as 3.Kompanie tanks.

30.03.2014 12:44 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Hi Hartmut.

You say " Hard to understand the system of markings in 504".

I agree, but my personal guess is that:
1) All the 9 "old" tanks (with spare track links on the lower bow plate) had:
a) turret side and basket numbers
b) white star with black G on the forward left side
c) white rhomboid with 2 on the forward left (and right?) side.
d) Many (if all) of them had also white star with black G and white rhomboid on the left Feifel Filter.
That's because they went under the command of Gierga's PzAbt 215, so they were all "standardised" in this marking system.

2) The new ones (which had turret spare track links holders) had:
a) no more turret numbers (there was no place!)
b) white rhomboid with 2 on the lower front plate
c) white rhomboid with 2 (or 3) on the lower rear plate
Maybe there were some differences between the "middle" 2 Tigers and the "late" 6 Tigers, but We have to find more pictures.

If you find some pics contrastng to my guess, please tell me.

Regards

Federico

30.03.2014 16:32 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Personly I have never seen a clear pic that confirmed the Rhombus on front and back plate show a "2". The new pic with the "3" on that Rhombus place is the first one to me who gives the Kompanie number clear without doubt.
All other photos I know only in bad quality or the number is hidden by something.

Do you know a photo of a new Tiger with spare tracks on turret who had Rhombus in front and back and shows clearly a "2" there?

30.03.2014 18:27 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Well, not.
Ok, maybe the number story is just a guess.
But the rhombus seems to remain...

Federico

30.03.2014 20:54 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

RE: #211 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Chris Brown
Many thanks to Federico Peyrani for this pic.

The book it is from cannot be recalled, so unfortunately we are unable to assign the credit.

Chris.

I just discovered in my hard disk an old copy of this picture. Here is what was written below:
This disabled Tiger tank, its once feared 88-mm gun now useless, serves as a prop for snapshots to be sent to the folks back home. (Kauffman)

I seem to remember I was told it was in a book of 505th or 504th PIR. Unfortunately I can't recall more, and a search in Google gave no result.

Regards
Federico

28.05.2014 23:28 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Hi to all!

Now I have found more about the source.
It's:
Woerpel D., "79th Fighter Group over Tunisia, Sicily and Italy in WWII", Schiffer Publishing, ISBN 9780764313226

The picture should be at around page 81.

Regards
Federico

23.08.2014 16:57 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Ebay

22.11.2014 14:59 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Wonderful Picture Hartmut!

This suggest me strongly about the transfer of the 2.Kp from Paceco to Piazza Armerina in June 1943. It's Heim's Tiger 211.

I say that because the Tiger has the Pz.Abt. 215's Star, so it's after the arrival in Sicily, and this was the only occasion for a Railway transfer.

I could add that the persone on the train looks like Karl Goldschmidt, but that's my guess!

Very very nice Pic!

Federico

22.11.2014 17:04 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Unusual position for the Rhombus.....

22.11.2014 17:46 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Due to his position above the mudguard, the "real" Rhombus looks to me to be the one above, and looks followed by a Cipher 2 (to his right).
The Rhombus below looks strange for the position, and I don't know if is a mud patch or not. Probably not, and so more strange...

Regards
Federico

22.11.2014 20:15 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

222? Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Along with '211' posted above by Hartmut, the seller also listed this Tiger from 2/504. The absence of track hangers marks it as one of the company's original complement of 9.

The dark mark beside the Kugelblende and the bottom smoke pot being turned make this a candidate for '222'. The mantlet being unreinforced matches too.

No connection with the seller.

Chris.

Link:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-Panzer-Tiger...=p2047675.l2557

01.12.2014 02:13 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

I am not sure with the turned smoke pot.

222 had on both sides a turned smoke pot.

01.12.2014 11:30 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Hi to all!

Anybody knows what's the plug for the optic?
Looks a very strage patch for the two holes..

Regards

Federico

01.12.2014 22:57 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

One of the later arrivals during transport. Note the three track hangers on the turret wall.

Chris.

Link:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/967-Foto-2-WK-Deu...=item5b0e176843

10.03.2015 12:54 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

RE: 222? Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Chris Brown

The dark mark beside the Kugelblende and the bottom smoke pot being turned make this a candidate for '222'. The mantlet being unreinforced matches too.

Chris.

I am now convinced that this is the same Tiger 222. The small stabilizer for the mud flap is damaged in the same way. All points together seems you are very right with your observation.

28.04.2015 22:38 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

222 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Good spot. Thanks for the confirmation.

Chris.

29.04.2015 00:24 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Turret numbers Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

The Sicily gallery currently states that “Like 1.Kp Tigers they sported solid red turret numbers in the middle of the turret side and on the turret bin” as seen here on the well-known ‘222’. The earlier of the two Tigers lost near Pisano had its number in this position too.

This new photo from the Tank Museum, published in both Federico’s excellent book ‘I Carri Armati Tigre in Sicilia’ and my book ‘Tiger I on The Battlefield’, reveals the last digit of the Pisano Tiger to be a two. As Federico points out this tank is not ‘222’ or ‘232’ so should be either ‘212’ or ‘242’.

Gallery photos reveal that not all 2.Kp members had their turret number in the same position, some being higher up the turret side wall, for example ‘211’ and ‘232’.

The Getty collection has recently begun displaying its online catalogue in higher resolution. Adjusting the settings of this gallery photo (ref: 542922207) of a Tiger in Biscari reveals a number in the higher position, also ending in a ‘2’. The high position means that this cannot be ‘222’ or the Tiger lost near Pisano, so must be either ‘232’ or ‘242’.

Chris.

06.07.2015 09:23 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Rob Fraser
Researcher

EBAY Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

13.08.2015 03:59 Rob Fraser ist offline Email an Rob Fraser senden Beiträge von Rob Fraser suchen Nehmen Sie Rob Fraser in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

121 in tunisia Rob nice find .

13.08.2015 05:50 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

This gallery photo is of an unknown Tiger from Federico's highly recommended book 'I Carri Armati Tigre in Sicilia'.

A photo in a private collection allows us to link the gallery photo with a new photo from the collection of Capt. Ralph A. Lurvey, USA (Ret.). This is an earlier view of the same scene, before the removal of fixtures and fittings. It is highly unusual to see both original pattern and simplified Feifels fitted at the same time.

Ralph Lurvey served as an artillery forward observer with the 160th Field Artillery attached to the 179th Infantry Regiment from the 45th Infantry Division. They landed at Scoglitti, well to the southeast of Gela, and went on to Vittoria and Comiso in their first couple of days in action. It is likely that the Tiger was encountered in this area.

Here is a link to a short History of the 45th Infantry Division in the Sicilian campaign.
http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/ref/collection/p4013coll8/id/113

Many thanks to Mason Lurvey for permission to share his grandfather's photo.

Chris.

01.09.2015 11:26 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Tiger at Gela Niscemi Crossroads Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hi to all!

I finally found in Facebook a better sized picture, konwn since a long time, that confirms this is a tiger.
The American book it come from suggests it was part of KG Goldschmidt at Piano Lupo. The road should be the road to Niscemi looking South.

The picture, certainly of NARA source, was published in FB at first from Mr Antonio Macchetti.

Regards
Federico

08.07.2016 09:51 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

RE: Tiger at Gela Niscemi Crossroads Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Federico Peyrani

The road should be the road to Niscemi looking South.

That's exactly what it is.
This Tiger is at 37° 4'24"N 14°22'14"E, near Piolo.

David

09.07.2016 01:16 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Thank you for finally confirming this is a Tiger Federico and for Mr Antonio Macchetti for posting the wonderful clear pic.
:-)
I thought is was but never was 100% certain.
http://www.tiif.de/thread.php?threadid=362&sid=

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 4 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Allen Dail am 09.07.2016 05:49.

09.07.2016 05:46 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

Thank you for posting it then, Allen!
I was skeptic, but now we have the proof you were right!

To all, please note the difference in the landscape (especially notable if you use Google StreetView). That's due to two facts:
1) in the 40ies Agriculture was more expanded and important for the living
2) the main heating and cooking material was wood, and so everywhere people went cutting bushes, and landscapes looked 'cleaner'.

Regards

Federico

09.07.2016 09:13 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Ponte Dirillo Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

More views of an old favourite. Ponte Dirillo.

Chris.

Link:
http://www.historical-media.com/id1056.htm

16.07.2016 23:23 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

A couple more photos of the Tiger from Ponte Dirillo, from an album in the Archive of Modern Conflict from a member of the US Air force. The originals are not sharp.

Don't suppose we have a location for after it was moved off the road?

Chris.

21.07.2016 00:32 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

RE: Belpasso Then & Now Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Chris Brown

The wall plaque records the presence of the Tiger. The buildings have changed somewhat but note the archway around the door and window alongside.

Chris.

Actually, the archway in the Tiger photo no longer exists. I think there were 3 archways on this building.
The doorway half hidden by the turret is the only surviving feature, implying that the Tiger is 20 meters ahead of the plaque.

Tiger in Belpasso

David

28.08.2016 17:40 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Two more views of the Biazza Ridge Tiger from the collection of Joe Dell via Facebook.

Chris.

Link:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...&type=3&theater

21.04.2017 16:59 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Seiten (2): « vorherige 1 [2]  
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: