Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.504 » Ergänzung zur Gallerie Italien 1944/45 » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Seiten (4): « erste ... « vorherige 2 3 [4] Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
Federico Peyrani

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Hope I did not bore you all with this report.

I just found other info:
The Road 349 as you see it in GoogleMaps was made after the war. The old 439 goes through Massa Marittima outskirts: you have to look for Strada Provinciale Massa Marittima in GoogleMaps. It was also made in Macadam until the Seventies.

Source Wikipedia (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strada_sta...rzanese_Valdera)

So it could be the right road where the Tigers were left, but it's on the wrong side of the walley (south side).

Regards

Federico

12.06.2016 22:22 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Federico Peyrani
Hi David, please let me explain my doubts about the location....

Here are the reasons why I chose my location:

1. The skyline, assembled from several of the photos, is clearly the same hills that we can see northeast of Massa Marittima. This modern colour photo was taken on top of the Massa hill, in the town.
It is also clear that the Tigers were on the ground, not on top of the hill, because they cannot see the hills BEHIND these hills.

2. I crawled along the roads using Google Earth in "ground view" mode. It is in fact not possible to see those hills from any of the modern roads around Massa. It was necessary to stand upon the slopes on the northern side. The old photos clearly show that the ground is sloping in that direction where the Tigers stand.

From the northern slopes, in a small area, you can have this view which covers the same wide angle as the old photos.
This also told me the direction of the old road; it must aim towards these hills.

There is a hill behind the Tigers on the north side. Only one hill on Google Earth could match it, when you insist on seeing the distant skyline.

The modern hill is completely wooded, unlike the hill in the photos. But it seems to have a trail or path that matches.
And this gives me one line of view where the Tigers must be. With another such line, I can find the intersection.

Finally, I needed the small hill behind Captain Reardon. Unfortunately the modern roads, which have "Street View", are flanked by modern trees and I could not get the same angle of view.

However there is only one candidate. And so I placed the Tigers.

David

13.06.2016 17:44 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
The old 439 goes through Massa Marittima outskirts: you have to look for Strada Provinciale Massa Marittima in GoogleMaps.
...So it could be the right road where the Tigers were left, but it's on the wrong side of the walley (south side).

I examined that road. There are a few stretches of the road where the distant skyline is visible, like we can see it behind the Tigers.

The road in the photos is pointing directly at a specific hill. We can rule out any stretches of road that are not similar. That leaves only 2 possible locations.

Both of these locations have the ground slanting down to the left, and indeed, they both have a wall on the right hand side. They have an open drop on the left side. The land in the Tiger photos is very different.

This is the best candidate and as you can see it's not good enough.

Here is a section from an old map of the region. I found it on the Web and I have had to blow it up considerably to see Massa, so it is blurry.
I overlaid it on top of the modern road map, matching up certain features.

It is probably not a perfect map, but it clearly shows a main road looping around to the north of the modern road.

David

13.06.2016 22:30 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

RE: About Tiger 200 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Zitat:
Original von Chris Brown
Looking at the '200' photos we now have suggests that there were at least three different vehicles.
Chris

I can confirm this now. These photos show the second Tiger "200".

The spot where is sits is now somewhere in the car park of a toy store that doubtless sells models of Tigers:

The view from that point is changed because many of the houses are now blocked by trees. But the mansion at the right is still visible:

Using the satellite view I was able to find 4 of the buildings, like this one, and use parallax to place the Tiger.

The location is consistent with the events of 18-19 September 1944.

I now have a page for the battle at San Fortunato.

David

14.06.2016 02:46 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Federico Peyrani

David, your work is priceless!

Here is my little stone, the report of the loss by the Funker of Tiger 200 (in German) from my future book:
Neuer Einsatz der bereits zusammengeschmolzenen 3.Komp. und der neu herangekommene 2./504 bei S.Martino in Monte l'Abate und Ghetto, 4 - 5 km S Rimini, in flacherem, jedoch wenig sichtigem Gelände, am 16. Und 17.9. In den Pausen zwischen den starken Feuerüberfällen der gegnerischen Artillerie, die jede Aktivität lähmen, entwickeln sich wütende Panzerduelle mit den in großer Zahl auffahrenden Churchills und Shermans. Hierzu F.HUHLEs Tagebuch: "17.9. In Abwesenheit des Kommandanten und Kp.-Chefs schießt die 4 Mann-Besatzung des Tigers 200 einen Churchill-Panzer ab. Fahrer Udo Rösch war auf den Turmsitz geklettert, Richtschütze Georg Berthold (?). 18.9. ...Unsere Panzer-Gruppe, hervorragend im Gelände getarnt, schießt 7 Feindpanzer ab. Die britische Panzerspitze wird aufgehalten. Gefangene sagen aus, daß keine deutschen Tiger aufgeklärt waren. Dann 2 Stunden heftiges Trommelfeuer auf unsere Stellungen. Tiger 200 wird getroffen, bewegungsunfähig. Bergungsversuche unter Beschuß mißlingen. Wagen muß - unter Deckung von Kampfwagen Kessel - gesprengt werden " (Ende HUHLE).

Regards

Federico
[Corrected wrong characters of German spelling]

15.06.2016 22:49 Federico Peyrani ist offline Email an Federico Peyrani senden Homepage von Federico Peyrani Beiträge von Federico Peyrani suchen Nehmen Sie Federico Peyrani in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Zitat:
Here is my little stone, the report of the loss by the Funker of Tiger 200

Thank you, that allows me to write a detailed description of the loss of Tiger 200.

I look forward to reading your book.

David

17.06.2016 02:40 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

Massa Marittima Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

More photos of the two losses near Massa Marittima. Perhaps this view of '200' helps confirm the location?

No connection with the seller,

Chris.

Link:
http://historical-media.com/einzel/2016....x2016.6.27.html

06.07.2016 17:25 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Thank you, Chris.

I had to move everything, and I'm still not happy.

David

07.07.2016 16:25 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

332 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Posted by Andrew Hill on Tiger Tracks group of Facebook

Chris

01.01.2017 14:19 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Chris Brown
Super Moderator

200 Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Another view of 200, posted by Joe Dell on Tiger Tracks group at facebook.

Chris

Link:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...&type=3&theater

14.04.2017 16:41 Chris Brown ist offline Email an Chris Brown senden Beiträge von Chris Brown suchen Nehmen Sie Chris Brown in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Seiten (4): « erste ... « vorherige 2 3 [4]  
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: