Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Tiger-Abteilungen Heer » sPzAbt.506 » Abt 506 - April 45 » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
Javier Tome
Expert

Abt 506 - Remagen to Iserlohn Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Lenhausen Wreck, 12 April 45

On 12 April 1945, the 99th ID informed that the attached TDs had “knocked out one tank, reported to be a Mark VI, out of two reported in the vicinity of LENHAUSEN”.

A Königstiger from s.pz.Abt 506? I did not expect to find a Tiger wreck in this area, but they are mentioned in the local chronic of Finnentrop:
Two young boys from Finnentrop were taken from the school and ordered to guard the Lenne bridge. They had to stop the retreating troops and send them to Bilstein. And they were on the bridge when a group of Tiger tanks approached. It seems that the Swedish rifle, in which the German ammunition did not fit, did not impress too much to the tankers, who followed their way north. Shortly after, on 11 April 1945, the bridge, as well as the railway bridge to Siegen and Olpe were blown up.

The 629th gives a little more information, although contradictory. On 12 April, the 1st platoon of company A working with the 393rd IR attacked and captured the town of LENHAUSEN. 1A/629th destroyed one Jagdpanther tank and two motorcycles.

Fortunately the heimatverein has found some information about the wreck. It remained in the northern exit of LENHAUSEN, on the lane to the right of the current Bundesstraße 236. An eyewitness remembers that the tank had not a rotating turret. In addition a neighbour kept the gun brake as a souvenir.

Map
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x331...zpszsvlqn8l.jpg

Pic
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x331...zps7ot37eld.jpg

Link
http://www.rund-um-den-biggesee.de/2014/...hre-geschichte/
Thanks to the HV and to Herr Kennemann!
Regards,

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Javier Tome am 04.11.2015 20:47.

12.10.2015 22:06 Javier Tome ist offline Email an Javier Tome senden Beiträge von Javier Tome suchen Nehmen Sie Javier Tome in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Javier Tome
Expert

Abt 506 - Remagen to Iserlohn Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Gleidorf Wreck, 7 April 45

On 7 April 1945 the US VII Corps informed that early in that morning a strong counterattack was received by an estimated 250 infantrymen and six Tiger Tanks in the vicinity of GLEIDORF. The attack was contained by 0715B with one enemy tank destroyed and 71 prisoners taken.

Was there a Königstiger wreck from the s.pz.Abt. 506 in GLEIDORF?

In favor of this theory is the interrogation of the prisoners, which revealed that the 338. ID attacked with the objective of recapturing GLEIDORF and to open up the road to SCHMALLENBERG. The I Bn and part of II Bn, 759 Rgt and few men from 758 Rgt, supported by 6 Mk VI tanks were employed in the counterattack. From 7 to 11 April the Division had attached a Tiger-Abteilung.

Against is the report about the 395th IR, attached to the 7th AD. This does not mentioned a destroyed tank but four damaged ones:
“Early in the morning of 7 April 3/395th received two counterattacks against their position in GLEIDORF. The first at 0315, consisting of an undetermined number of infantry supported by one tank, was repulsed without losing any ground. At 0600, another counterattack was launched on GLEIDORF from the north with five tanks and an estimated 250 infantrymen. By 0715, the attack had been repelled with four enemy tanks damaged and 108 prisoners taken.”

This time the local information does not help either. There were some local investigations in FREDEBURG about the presence of Königstiger tanks in town, but confirmation to the rumors was not found. It seems that there were even excavations searching for a tank wreck, unfortunately with no success.

A Field Order of the 338. ID mentions the cooperation with a Tiger Bn 5005 (sic):

Condensation of ey doc found in Schmallenberg 9 April 45 (by 48th Armd Inf Bn)
(In pencil) Recd 7/4/45 115 759
338th Inf Div Div CP, 6 Apr 45
C of S, G3

Division Field Order
1. Enemy main effort in area Gleidorf. Enemy succeded after hard fighting, in occupying Gleidorf. Further effort is to be expected along road Fredeburg – Dorlar.
2. 338th Inf Div will lean out the enemy in Gleidorf, and relieve further parts of Pz Lehr Div on the left flank.
3. Missions: a. 759th Inf Regt will clean out Gleidorf as per oral order, by counter-attack, and will win and hold a new MLR on S edge of Gleidorf. It is of decisive importance for the counter-attackas to cooperate fully with Tiger Bn 5005 and arty Regt 338.
b. 757th Inf Regt will relieve Pz Lehr Div elms which occupy MLR in our sector on the night 6/7 April. The main defense effort will be on the sector of the Bn on the right. One reinforced Co will serve as Regt reserve and boundary guard in the area KOLONIE GELEIERBACH. This Co will also have as its mission the collection of stragglers.
The wooded area on the left of the Regt´l area is to be secured against armored attack by Regt´l Engr and AT Co.
c. II Bn, 759th Inf Regt, and that part of 338th Fus Bn under the command of the 759th Inf Regt will remain in their present positions. I Inf Bn (FLAK) is under the control of the 759th inf regt.
d. Patrols for ey information and PWs are of the highest importance to higher HQ.

Map
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x331...zpshzgmcrk7.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde schon 1 mal editiert, zum letzten mal von Javier Tome am 19.12.2015 15:42.

04.11.2015 20:50 Javier Tome ist offline Email an Javier Tome senden Beiträge von Javier Tome suchen Nehmen Sie Javier Tome in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Javier Tome
Expert

Tigers around Eitorf, 25/26 March 45

In the 1st ID reports about the attack on Eitorf can be found several mentions to destroyed “Mark VI” tanks. An intercepted German radio report stated that a “Pz Gruppe” formed by the Tiger Abt. 506 and 512 was assembling around SÜCHTERSCHEID on 24 March 1945, so there were Tigers in the area. What about Tiger wrecks?

I have found these three histories:

- On 25 March, the 26th IR (1st ID) advanced from UCKERATH to KRAHECK. Then company “L” took the lead and followed to FERNEGIERSCHEID. Lt. A. Preston Price was a mortar forward observer with the 1st ID and wrote about the attack on FERNEGIERSCHEID in his book “The last Kilometer”:

“Now I see the source of the machine-gun fire: a gigantic German Tiger tank has moved up out of the village and placed itself at a bend in the dirt road. Its fire covers the entire road and much of the fields on both sides. Our men, now in the sunken road, are caught like rats in a trap. I hear the swoosh and immediate sharp explosions of bazooka fire against the tank. Some brave men are trying to knock the tank out with their small antitank rockets. The tank, which is so huge it fills the entire road, continues to move forward."

Lieutenant Price managed to direct accurate fire on the tank until it was stopped. This is the description of the wreck:

“I pause at the huge Tiger tank. Its right track, which is about three feet wide, has been broken just at the right front of the machine. Evidently my heavy mortar round did the trick. I can see the marks made by the exploding bazooka rounds on the turret and side of the tank, and can see that no penetration of the thick armor resulted. The turret hatch is open; apparently the tankers, finding that they were immobilized, deserted their vehicle and departed for the rear.”

pic:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x331...zps0rl2spns.jpg

Caption: “Anti-tank men attached to the 1st Infantry Division, 1st US Army, curiously examine equipment in a German Mark-1 tank knocked out by a bazooka team near FERNEGIERSCHEID, Germany.”

- On the 26th of March the 2nd Bn of the 26th IR reported among the destroyed enemy material one 50mm howitzer at 773350, one 75mm AT gun at 783351 and one Mark VI tank in the vicinity of 792349. This point is near KIRCHEIB. Fortunately the Ortsbürgermeister knew who could remember the wreck. He found a farmer that identified the tank as a Panther. He was completely sure, because he removed the alternator of the tank for a better use.

Map:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x331...zpsk4dgtjnb.jpg

- On 26 March the 3rd Bn of the 26th IR was also attacking to the SIEG River. The battalion reported the following:
“Company "B" first platoon was ordered to proceed toward the village [Juckenbach] with the tanks covering their approach. Riflemen got into the outskirts of the village and engaged the enemy while the tanks moved up to the crest of the hill to fire into the village. This action caused the enemy tanks to seek a route of withdrawal. As they moved from cover, the friendly tank destroyers accounted for one, the artillery for another, one enemy tank, a Mark VI, moved out of the town directly toward the company evidently for the purpose of engaging the friendly tanks. This momentarily distracted the tankers´ attention, and one enemy tank withdrew safely; but the approaching enemy tank was destroyed by fire from friendly tanks.”

In the book „Kriegsjahre in Eitorf 1939-1945” the driver of the “Mark VI” told what happened with this tank.
Walter Berger was a member of the Panzer Lehr Division. On the evening of 25 to 26 March his Panther was sent to support the German infantry west of Eitorf. It was in position near Wassak when the commander was hit by an American bullet. Quickly the driver tried to go back to Juckenbach to save the life of the commander, but in the darkness he turned in the wrong direction, straigth into the approaching American tanks. The turret of the Panther was pointing backwards and the gunner taking care of the commander. After receiving some hits the driver abandoned the tank but soon he was captured by the US infantry. He did not know what happened with the rest of the crew.

Map:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x331...zpsdmeqpfbu.jpg

Regards,

06.12.2015 23:32 Javier Tome ist offline Email an Javier Tome senden Beiträge von Javier Tome suchen Nehmen Sie Javier Tome in Ihre Freundesliste auf

Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: