Registrierung Mitgliederliste Administratoren und Moderatoren Suche Häufig gestellte Fragen Zur Startseite

Tiger im Focus » Spezial » Tarnschemen...Farben... » 501 Africa » Hallo Gast [anmelden|registrieren]
Druckvorschau | An Freund senden | Thema zu Favoriten hinzufügen
Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Autor
Beitrag « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »
David Byrden

501 Africa Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

This photo is from 1969 and I believe the colours are mostly original. There has been some "touching up" and some fading.

A brown and a green with very low contrast, would be the "Tropical #1" scheme.

David

17.05.2015 17:35 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

Not sure this is original paint David. What happend to all the shipping instructions painted in front of and behind the hull cross. Also the two patches were the side armor where cut off for tests are the same color as the rest of the hull. One chunk on turret right at top that took off part of top of 7. The other on the hull right in front and above the 1st and second skirt seam. Could this be the 1944 repaint Richard Cox mentions in Tiger Without A Home on page 50 " photographs dated May 17, 1944, however depict a newly repainted vehicle. Originally appearing in the manuel Tank Data , these photographs have been reproduced in a varity of publications over the years. They show 712 with new crosses on its hull, its last tatical number back on its turret, and the tiger logo of sPzAbt t01 having been reproduced as well. " This was after the mid war marking out of the original markings during testing and for recognition films.
I am going to try and get the book mentioned above on inter library loan tomorrow. if they can get it for me I will scan those pics and post them here.
Allen

18.05.2015 02:53 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Zitatantwort auf diesen Beitrag erstellen Diesen Beitrag editieren/löschen Diesen Beitrag einem Moderator melden       IP Information Zum Anfang der Seite springen

I found two of the three pics of 712 mentioned above from May 17,1944 . Pic" A5452 no caption (3/4 view of FMCV-33 from right front & 3/4 view from right rear)". Description from Page 93 Tiger Without A Home.
The pics are the first two in the Aero Armor series 1 the Tiger tanks book. They look like the pic you posted without weathering the white number 13 or yellow Der Tiger.
I am on phone now and can't post right now but will scan and post these two tomorrow.
Allen

18.05.2015 03:22 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

A few experts have commented on M-L, including Bruce Culver.
It seems that the tanks were repainted during or shortly after the war. A careful attempt to restore the original scheme was made, but some differences can be found.

So, we can at least conclude that these 2md company Tigers were painted with the Tropical scheme. And, once again, the digits don't seem to be filled with red.

David

18.05.2015 08:14 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Here are the two pics I metioned that were referenced in the book Tiger Without A Home . I did not have time to scan them today but found the same pics online. These are supposed to be of the fresh may 1944 repaint. I agree that the tanks were painted in some type of camo scheme.

19.05.2015 00:04 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

What's happening with the digits?
There seems to be an outside white line, then an inside black line, then no paint at all.

Why would they do that? What was the original like?

David

19.05.2015 00:56 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Up until now, I thought these digits were filled with black - because of this paint job in "712". But if this is a repaint, the whole chain of logic must be reworked.

This was an attempt to refresh something that was quite old and faded.

The restorers found black lines, but not a black fill, in the digits.

But when the tank was captured, the digits had a dark fill;

So, between the capture and the repaint, most of the fill faded away while the black outer lines remained.

That suggests the fill was not black.

Here's an unusually close-up photo of another Tiger painted in this style (731); we can see that there are outer lines, slightly darker than the fill.

And that leaves me with the question; what was the colour of the fill? Whatever it was, it faded a lot more quickly than the black paint. It could not have been black.

Our last resort is a photo taken by Eliot Elisofon;

In the distance lies the turret shell of Tiger 243. It's blurry, but when we peer at it, I think we can see a patch of colour where the "4" digit is written;

And that patch is red.

David

19.05.2015 01:37 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Allen Dail
Expert

Here are the Scans of these two pics maybe they can help. They are both from the Aero Armor series 1 The Tiger Tanks. It looks as they tried to reproduce the markings in the correct location they even repainted the batt tiger insignia on the rear under the jack mount that Richard cox mentions 712 had at its capture earlier in his book Tiger without a home. I think you can barley see this under the dust in some of the after capture photos. Or maybe I am just seeing things in a cople of pics. I still think you are correct in your new theory of 7th company tanks having a red fill and 8th company having black. I scanned the close up of the cross and turret number in a higher setting so hope it will help.
Regards Allen

20.05.2015 01:05 Allen Dail ist offline Email an Allen Dail senden Beiträge von Allen Dail suchen Nehmen Sie Allen Dail in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

Sorry, if I didn't make myself clear. The new theory is that they were all red.
This photo is from the 8th company;

and "712" is of course from the 7th.

David

20.05.2015 11:20 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Panzer III and Panzer IV in 2.Kompanie 501 had black numbers. Why should have the Tigers red numbers then?

20.05.2015 17:57 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf
David Byrden

What evidence have we for black numbers, apart from "832"?

David

20.05.2015 22:52 David Byrden ist offline Email an David Byrden senden Homepage von David Byrden Beiträge von David Byrden suchen Nehmen Sie David Byrden in Ihre Freundesliste auf
Hartmut von Holdt
Administrator

Zitat:
Original von David Byrden
What evidence have we for black numbers, apart from "832"?

David

"852"

So we have seen two tanks of the 2.Kompanie with black numbers, but we did´nt see any tank with red numbers in 2.Kompanie.

Apart from that fact, Tiger 712 was changed from "8" to "7" and that made him something like a 1.Kompanie tank. And yes, I am convinced the 1.Kompanie had red numbers.
So if 712 had red number(what I not believe), then it is possible that they repaint it from black to red. But I would say it would be a bit over motivated to do that in the last days of action in Tunisia.

21.05.2015 10:41 Hartmut von Holdt ist offline Email an Hartmut von Holdt senden Homepage von Hartmut von Holdt Beiträge von Hartmut von Holdt suchen Nehmen Sie Hartmut von Holdt in Ihre Freundesliste auf

Neues Thema erstellen Antwort erstellen
Gehe zu: